Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Safe Mode

Back to Main Forums page | Back to Windows Me Forum

Safe Mode

I use Windows 98 and have been trying to put my computer in safe mode in order to run defrag.I looked up how to do this (hold F8 or control while loading) - but it never went into safe mode. I never had a problem with 95 when I ran defrag. Don't understand why I do now. As my computer is getting slower all the time I really want to run it. If possible reply to:
jcgov@yahoo.ca

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safe Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safe Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Try F5 while booting up.

In reply to: Safe Mode

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Try F5 while booting up.

In reply to: (NT) Try F5 while booting up.

I believe the person was asking about windows 98 not NT. Windows 98 uses F8 to go to safe mode on boot up.

Collapse -
Re: Safe Mode

You really should not put your email publicly in any forum. You risk all kinds of spam & malicious attacks.

Collapse -

1. The "Step-by-Step Confirmation Mode" explained in this article is similar to using Safe Mode since it permits the stepping through of various stages of the boot process to allow what can or what is allowed to load and becomes very useful to isolate which particular stage/step is causing the problem -- you keep a written record of each iteration. The process is time consuming but allows the selection of only certain items (1 to 4 at a time) that when loaded causes or does not cause the anomaly. If a stage succeeded, process another group until a group cause the problem -- then isolate the items in that group to find the culprit.

2. Understand fully the section titled, "Using System File Checker" in the TechNet article "Chapter 27 - General Troubleshooting" concerning the use and troubleshooting strategy with this utility. In addition a very good article on the TechAdvice site is "SFC." Heed the warning described in the article "System File Checker Tool Extracts Incorrect File Versions (Q192832)."

3. Windows 98 users may use the DEFRAG.INF located in the \Tools\MTSutil folder on the Win98 CD. Copy it to the hard disk if you desire. (For further information, see the Mtsutil.txt file in that same folder).

Collapse -
yahoo replies will go to junk folder.

free signup at cnet, subscribe to your question, receive notice of activity to see replies.
Why go into safe mode?
Hold down F8 early enough.
OR go to run>msconfig>advanced> allow startup menu, and you have to scroll or enter option number, hit enter to do safe mode.
OR use alt-ctrl-delete and turn off almost all stuff to run defrag normally in windows.

Collapse -
Re: msconfig/advanced/startup/ enable

In reply to: yahoo replies will go to junk folder.

Is this Enable check mark the thing that's giving me a black screen with options on how to start my PC? If i uncheck it, will i be able to get back online the normal way? TIA Linda / shorebug@aol.com

Collapse -
No

In reply to: Re: msconfig/advanced/startup/ enable

You cannot do it - rather not suitable for programmers Sad

Better - manare startup with advanced startup manager and leave only suitalbe programs - for example - Absolute StartUp manager - http://www.absolutestartup.com

Collapse -

HJ,

As a cheat ... in msconfig -> general tab, fill radio button "diagontic start up". This will take you to the boot option menu.

Collapse -

On Boot Up just after when your computer reads the drive(s) press F8. then select safe mode

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Safe Mode

How do i get out of safe Mode? That black screen has been with me for 3 months now. It has 4 ways to get online, yet the regular way isn't there. Maybe the black boot up screen is something else, but i have no idea what or how to get rid of it. Thanks for any help Linda / shorebug@aol.com

Collapse -

shorebug

Start -> run (type) MSCONFIG. Click ok

In System Configuration Utility, General tab.

Fill radio button "Normal Start-up" click Apply -> OK
Re boot system

Bill

Collapse -

You don't need "safe Mode" to Defrag. Try Going to Accessories>System tools> Disk Defrag

Collapse -

The reason Im trying safe mode is because it starts over and over again. That was the route I was told to go. I have tried Holding down Ctrl, I've tried F8 and F5. None of them work. I have tried deleting itmes after Ctrl, Alt, Del because I am not that computer literate and have no idea which items it would be safe to delete. Many of the items listed are just a bunch of letters to me.

Collapse -

I could not disable Wnmgt in Ctrl-Alt- Del in order to do Defrag. This is how I get into Safe Mode, and it has worked well.
Start/Run/type MSCONFIG/Enter/Click on ADVANCED in lower right corner/ in window that opens under Settings check"Enable Start Up"/OK/OK. When finished with Safe M reverse above procedure and take check mark off from "Enable Start up." June

Collapse -

Thanks to all who replied. I have now succeeded in getting to Safe Mode and have defragged my computer.

Collapse -

press F5 continually on reboot, your computer should come right up in safe mode.

Collapse -

Nope - didn't work

Collapse -

Just want you all to know that when my computer hung up to-day it rebooted into safe mode and I was finally able to defrag it. Thanks for all the suggestions.
HJ

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.