Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Safe Mode

by VikasPatel / October 24, 2005 1:24 PM PDT

My Windows 98 machine is no longer booting. However I can boot in Safe Mode. There are some files from my old computer that I would like to transfer. Is there any way that I can my computer to recognize a flash drive so I can transfer the information.

Another option is that if I can get the computer to recognize my CD writer in safe mode, I could burn the files that I need.

Finally, another idea that someone suggested was whether I can network the computer in safe mode to my new computer and then transfer the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safe Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safe Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Safe Mode
by Kees Bakker / October 24, 2005 5:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode

One of the reasons Safe Mode is working when normal Windows doesn't is that most of Windows (such as USB, network, CD) is skipped, and only the bare basics are loaded. There might be a Safe Mode with network support (not sure about 98 by head, but you might have trouble to configure everything if it ain't already working).

Things to try:
- Copy those "some files" to diskette. Winzip lets you span diskettes if it doesn't fit. Heavily depends on the amount of data.
- Mount the hard disk as slave in your new computer. Not really difficult.
- Reinstall Windows (after deleting c:\windows from MS-DOS). You won't be able to run much application programs, but you should be able to install a driver for a USB key or a CD-burner program, and that's all you need.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
My Windows 98 machine is no longer booting.
by Cursorcowboy / October 24, 2005 10:21 PM PDT

You give us nothing to work with, other than the following perhaps. Without the full details or response when the system boots we cannot form an opinion of the problem.

1. The article [Q192926] discusses the Clean-boot troubleshooting process and procedure to perform a Diagnostic Startup and refers to methods of reducing behaviors that may occur because of the system's environment. Many behaviors that occur when Windows or programs run occur because there are conflicting drivers, terminate-and-stay-resident programs (TSRs), and other settings and programs that are loaded as part of the boot process and these files and programs help create the environment that is used by the operating system when the computer starts.

2. BOOTLOG.TXT file:

a. Create a Bootlog.txt (hidden file in the root of C:\). When starting the computer, use the Startup Menu to create a one-time Bootlog.txt file. Please be advised that Windows will boot much slower during the process.

Note: When examining this file in any text editor -- Notepad in Windows, or simply typing the following command at the MS-DOS prompt and then pressing Enter (clicking the icon in front of MS_DOS Prompt in the top colored bar provides MS-DOS commands), look for lines ending in LoadFailure which may indicate either a device or software problem.

b. The article [Q127970] discusses the hidden Bootlog.txt file located in the root folder, describes content, and explains certain items that may be indicated as a Load Failed which does not necessarily indicate a problem.

c. The article [Q118579] explains the root folder text file Msdos.sys set with Read-Only, System, and Hidden attributes, that this file is set to be at least 1,024 bytes in length, and describes the [Options] section that contain the settings and their meaning. Instructions are contained which allows a user to set certain options which creates the Bootlog.txt file during boot.

d. It is recommended that ''Boot Log Analyser, Vision 4 Ltd'' be downloaded from this link and used.

3. Supplemental reading:

a. ''Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool (Q186099).''

b. ''Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems (Q188867).''

Collapse -
first try msconfig...
by reefurbb / October 24, 2005 11:37 PM PDT

in Safe Mode, start-run type in msconfig, enter. Hit the "startup" tab and uncheck a lot of stuff. "ok" and reboot to see if a culprit lurks here. Then you can go there again and recheck items, one at a time, to see which one specifically.
If that doesn't work, next we'll try F8 at boot, startup menu, "command prompt only", scanreg/fix or restore.
Some of this before reinstalling Windows.
Cursor has the fastest solution "slave the Hdd".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.