Mac Hardware forum

Question

Safe Mac PC Compatibility - External Hard Drives, Android

I'm not a new mac user but I no longer have the tech support I used to receive when I was using mac at school, hence the question

How to use external hard drive in NTFS safely with Mac?

When I used to use the Mac desktop at school, not sure what they did, I always was able to use NTFS hard drive there with no problem at all, so I can transfer files easily between PC, Mac, Android

I bought a Macbook Air for myself to use, the headache started!

1. NTFS seems to be the only way I can use my external hard drive, because I need it to be safe and stable, transferrable files between Mac and PC, able to store large files as I edit a lot of HD videos

2. After finally found a plug in that works, I downloaded and installed, I thought it was finally problems solves and cheering for myself, when I realized it wasn't the end yet...

3. The plugin is not stable, sometimes I can read and write, sometimes I can only read

4. I still cannot transfer files from my Android phone to my external hard drive through the Mac with the plugin

5. I know you can use Android File Transfer software, but that only enables you to move everything within one folder to the Mac, many times I need to leave things on the phone; also it doesn't work well either, I remember trying to move files in the folder to the Mac it was all errors

6. So I installed Parallel Windows system, hoping that would solve the problem, well you guessed it, not yet!! So I'm able to access and move things from the Android phone to the Windows system now on the Mac, but when I try to transfer files that are larger, it takes FOREVER like it's never ending, I've waited a whole night and it wasn't even starting the first quarter

7. It doesn't matter what method I use, it seems to always cause harm and damage to my external hard drive, it has happened numerous times, either the Finder dies and crashes and never relaunch again, and when I restarts it froze, if I force shut down it corrupts all my files then I have to use Windows to check disk and repair everything, gives me heart attack all the times as my files are so important to me; or whenever I plug in the external hard drive on the Mac Book Air, it disconnect by itself, if I leave the computer for a while, I've tried changing the setting to not let the computer sleep, and not automatically disconnect any hardware, it DOES NOT WORK... every time I come back to my desk after resting a bit, it says disk was not ejected properly, which also scares the hell out of me because that can cause file corruption and damage the external hard drive

Jesus Christ, is there a solution to this ever ending agony?

I thought buying this Mac Book Air can help with my productivity with work, but this issue has me spent so much time on it already, oh Apple's tech support also doesn't help at all on this... they just tell me to install a plug in that works, I asked them so what works? They say they can't recommend... I asked what else can I do? They say make the external hard drive FAT, but I need to transfer and store my large video files which is not compatible with FAT format!

Serious guys, what to do?

I even thought of only use the Mac Book Air as an editing machine, but I still need to move the files around safely, I need the effects, images, logos, etc in my external hard drive too!!

Please please please, any solution?

I wonder how them tech support used to do it at my college then... I never had this issue while using the Macs there....

Sorry about writing such a long essay, I hope some genius here can help... or I need to hire a tech support now.. =(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safe Mac PC Compatibility - External Hard Drives, Android
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safe Mac PC Compatibility - External Hard Drives, Android
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You do not have to be a genius to sort this one out.

In reply to: Safe Mac PC Compatibility - External Hard Drives, Android

the solution I use is called NTFS for Mac.

It's by Paragon Software has been working reliably for many years.

It is available here: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ costs $19.95 and supports Mavericks.

The software is installed on the Mac, it puts a small control panel in System Preferences, and allows the read and writing of files to any NTFS formatted drive.

As I said, I have used it for years without a problem

P

Collapse -
That IS the plugin I installed

In reply to: You do not have to be a genius to sort this one out.

I mentioned in my post I installed a plugin which is NTFS

However it doesn't work for me (it works sometimes, but still has all the other issues)

Any ideas?

The name is called

NTFS-free-10.8.2

I didn't pay for it, I am assuming if the free version isn't working well why pay for it...

I researched a lot of people seem to have problem with NTFS for Mac being unstable and not solving all the issues

Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E2Cool
Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
13-inch, Mid 2013
MacBook Air

Collapse -
Odd choice.

In reply to: That IS the plugin I installed

Collapse -
It's an Intel MAC

In reply to: That IS the plugin I installed

which means you can try a LIVE DVD from Linux which allows fairly easy transfer of files between many file systems, including NTFS and HFS+

http://guides.macrumors.com/File_systems

"Mac OS X has read only support for this format. It has no capabilities to write to an NTFS drive. Windows has complete read/write capabilities for this format. "

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2713
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system#LINUX

this gives all the file systems Linux can work with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Supporting_operating_systems

You can get a disc for $6 or download from linuxmint free and burn the DVD yourself.
https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint/linux-mint-171-mate-install-live-dvd-32bit.html

No need to install, just boot from the DVD and open the file manager and can move files between the hard drive and the external drive and when finished, boot back to Mac. Free.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.