Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Saddam's Terror Training Camps

by Mark5019 / January 7, 2006 11:52 AM PST

THE FORMER IRAQI REGIME OF Saddam Hussein trained thousands of radical Islamic terrorists from the region at camps in Iraq over the four years immediately preceding the U.S. invasion, according to documents and photographs recovered by the U.S. military in postwar Iraq. The existence and character of these documents has been confirmed to THE WEEKLY STANDARD by eleven U.S. government officials.

The secret training took place primarily at three camps--in Samarra, Ramadi, and Salman Pak--and was directed by elite Iraqi military units. Interviews by U.S. government interrogators with Iraqi regime officials and military leaders corroborate the documentary evidence. Many of the fighters were drawn from terrorist groups in northern Africa with close ties to al Qaeda, chief among them Algeria's GSPC and the Sudanese Islamic Army. Some 2,000 terrorists were trained at these Iraqi camps each year from 1999 to 2002, putting the total number at or above 8,000. Intelligence officials believe that some of these terrorists returned to Iraq and are responsible for attacks against Americans and Iraqis. According to three officials with knowledge of the intelligence on Iraqi training camps, White House and National Security Council officials were briefed on these findings in May 2005; senior Defense Department officials subsequently received the same briefing.

The photographs and documents on Iraqi training camps come from a collection of some 2 million "exploitable items" captured in postwar Iraq and Afghanistan. They include handwritten notes, typed documents, audiotapes, videotapes, compact discs, floppy discs, and computer hard drives. Taken together, this collection could give U.S.
intelligence officials and
very interesting read

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/006/550kmbzd.asp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Saddam's Terror Training Camps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Saddam's Terror Training Camps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Of course but Iraq has nothing to do with war on terror
by Evie / January 7, 2006 11:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / January 7, 2006 12:13 PM PST

If Saddam could "manufacture" evidence to appear to have WMD, he could also pull this scam off.

Collapse -
Moonshine and hogwash
by EdH / January 7, 2006 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: Response

What would be the purpose of that? Why is it so hard to accept that Saddam was training terrorists? It would be amazing if he was not.

Collapse -
He didn't have to 'manufacture evidence'
by TONI H / January 7, 2006 8:14 PM PST

to show he had WMD....they were actually USED on the Kurds and that has been proved already. Why is it so difficult for you to accept known historical facts when it comes to Saddam? Or do you really believe, as your tone and words suggest in his defense, that the USA framed him for every act of terrorism and murder he has committed? I get this horrible sinking feeling that if, somehow, Saddam was acquitted at his trial and walked out the doors, you would be one of the ones that would be happy that he was exonerated just so you could point to the USA as being the bad guys, and never mind that Saddam killed so many of his own.....kind of like denying the Holocaust ever happened either and was entirely fabricated by the USA, such as what Iran's leader is claiming.

You frighten me......

TONI

Collapse -
you would be one of the ones that would be happy
by JP Bill / January 7, 2006 9:37 PM PST

Well, you're wrong.

He didn't have to 'manufacture evidence'

I recall you making the statement (I'm paraphrasing now) about Saddam making it "appear" that he had WMD. This statement was a reason for "everybody to think he had WMD".

So, if he didn't "manufacture evidence" how did he "make it appear" he had WMD? (and I'm not referring to gassing the Kurds which was many years before ousting him from power)

Collapse -
How silly
by EdH / January 7, 2006 10:14 PM PST

Saddam did nothing to convinced the world that he did NOT have WMDs. Some theorize that's because he was afraid of Iran; some theorize it's because he DID have them, and some theorize that he was decieved by his own people and THOUGHT he had them. No one claims he manufactured evidence that he had them.

That's all beside the point. Why would he "manufacture" evidence that he had trained terrorists? It is irrational even by the standards of Saddam or the leftists.

And the story of Saddam's WMD is far from over. Maybe they are hidden; maybe they were moved. We don't know for sure whether he destroyed them or not.

Collapse -
Silly?
by JP Bill / January 7, 2006 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: How silly
Saddam did nothing to convinced the world that he did NOT have WMDs.

Iraq has been occupied for almost 3 years, no WMD found, and still some believe they are hidden; maybe they were moved. We don't know for sure whether he destroyed them or not.

What could he do before the liberation to prove he didn't have any?

Even when the inspectors were there he was accused of ''moving weapons around''. ( I don't doubt he was moving ''covered'' vehicles to ''appear'' to have something he didn't. (manufacture evidence)

People don't even believe their own eyes (now), why would they believe Saddam (then)?

Why would he ''manufacture'' evidence that he had trained terrorists?

So far this ''story'' is someones interpretation of some papers found in Iraq. And people should realize that info from ''one'' source is not reliable, considering all the ''sources'' that had good(?) intelligence that lead to the liberation of Iraq.
Collapse -
Your rationalization
by TONI H / January 7, 2006 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Silly?

and excuse-making for Saddam scare me more than just a little. You appear to be 'making his case' for him in court by suggesting he's not anything more than a man afraid of the USA so he 'made stuff up' to try to make himself seem more than what he really was, which was just a ***** cat trying to eke out a living.

I'm truly happy that you aren't in any position of influence in this country....

TONI

Collapse -
The inspections were NOT ...
by Evie / January 7, 2006 10:59 PM PST

... supposed to be a game of hide and seek, they were an opportunity for Saddam to PROVE he had destroyed weapons he was KNOWN to have at the time of the Gulf War.

The current documents under question number in the millions of pages and are like our National Archives (only everything was "classified") and CIA files all in one. They weren't meant for the public consumption so the notion that he manufactured them is absurd.

There are photos. You won't believe those either??

Collapse -
But there photos
by JP Bill / January 7, 2006 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: There are photos

"incorrectly" interpreted.

Collapse -
OK
by Evie / January 7, 2006 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: But there photos

Saddam spent millions toiling away at a "front" intelligence operation training terrorists. Okey dokey!

Collapse -
But they're photos
by JP Bill / January 7, 2006 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: But there photos

"incorrectly" intrepreted

Collapse -
well
by Mark5019 / January 7, 2006 11:06 PM PST

the inspectors werent allowed free reighn to inspect where they wanted, rember yout good ole bud trowing them out, slipped your mind huh.

and as the link stated not all papers read yet, slipped your mind again tisk tisk how sad

Collapse -
Of course you must ignore WMD actually FOUND in Iraq...
by Edward ODaniel / January 8, 2006 12:01 AM PST

by Hans Blix (surely you remember the UN Inspector) shortly before the invasion.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007540

And even Hans Blix--who headed the U.N. team of inspectors trying to determine whether Saddam had complied with the demands of the Security Council that he get rid of the weapons of mass destruction he was known to have had in the past--lent further credibility to the case in a report he issued only a few months before the invasion:

The discovery of a number of 122-mm chemical rocket warheads in a bunker at a storage depot 170 km [105 miles] southwest of Baghdad was much publicized. This was a relatively new bunker, and therefore the rockets must have been moved there in the past few years, at a time when Iraq should not have had such munitions. . . . They could also be the tip of a submerged iceberg. The discovery of a few rockets does not resolve but rather points to the issue of several thousands of chemical rockets that are unaccounted for.

Then too, the complete Charles Duelfer's report (http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd_2004/)indicated evidence of the rebuilding of WMD programs AND pointed out clearly for you to ignore how small and easily hidden much of the WMD agents in question were. Only RECENTLY (late this past December) you may remember the 101st ABN "dug up more than a thousand aging rockets and missiles wrapped in plastic, some of which had been buried as recently as two weeks ago, Army officials said.

"This is the mother load, right here," Sgt. Jeremy Galusha, 25, of Dallas, Ore., said, leaning on a shovel after uncovering more than 20 Soviet missiles.

As the sun set Tuesday, U.S. soldiers continued to uncover more, following zigzagging tire tracks across the desert floor and using metal detectors to locateweapons including mines, mortars and machine gun rounds."

http://newsfromrussia.com/world/2005/12/21/70212.html

Living in Wonderland and conciously avoiding the realities of the real world isn't the answer so make an effort to exit the rabbit hole.

This way to the EGRESS --> Read and heed the reports rather than the short editorialized versions interpreted for you by the liberal media.

Collapse -
dug up
by JP Bill / January 8, 2006 1:01 AM PST
dug up more than a thousand aging rockets and missiles wrapped in plastic, some of which had been buried as recently as two weeks ago, Army officials said.

Most people realize Saddam was a long way from a genius.

Burying rockets and misssiles "that were already aging" (like rusted and dented when buried and probably weren't functional is foolish). Perhaps they "aged" in 2 weeks.

Are they functional one day and the next day they are junk? How long before deterioration makes them junk?

Something else that doesn't make sense, is claiming that wmd, that aren't functional, are wmd.

They are useless junk if they don't function.
Collapse -
What I find silly...
by EdH / January 8, 2006 2:34 AM PST

is the notion that Saddsam would fake evidence that he was training terrorists. WHY?? Why would he do such a thing? It makes no sense at all.

You quoted my question and then didn't answer it.

BTW Iraq has NOT been occupied for three years. The occupation ended some time ago. We do NOT run the place.

"...still some believe they are hidden; maybe they were moved. We don't know for sure whether he destroyed them or not."

I said that because it is true. We don't know. Three years is not that long a time and the troops have been kinda busy.

Collapse -
Evidently you aren't familiar
by TONI H / January 7, 2006 10:26 PM PST

with a normal technique used by bullies....Fight and prove yourself once, and you can intimidate everyone into believing you are capable of doing it again. By his actions of deceiving the inspectors and leading them around by the nose, keeping them from looking for years in the places they wanted to spontaneously look rather than set up an appointment for locations which could be cleared out by that appointment date, by throwing them out of the country at will, and by past use of the WMD against the Kurds, Saddam was able to convince the world and his 'enemies and friends' that he had them and would use them again in a heartbeat. Whackos are capable of anything, and if they have already got a track record, the rational thinking world will believe they are capable of anything again. The only ones who don't believe it are the ones who never believed he did it in the first place or that he has had a change of heart. Unfortunately, cold blooded killer psychopaths don't have a heart or a conscience....and you can believe that Saddam hasn't lose even one moment's sleep regretting anything he's done because he's still using bravado to excerise what he still sees as his power to do so from a courtroom while in handcuffs and defecating in full view of his captors like the rest of the prisoners.

TONI

Collapse -
I'll invite you to re-read...
by Edward ODaniel / January 7, 2006 11:43 PM PST

this piece http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/003681.php which was based in part on some of the same papers and intel they provided.

It was also widely published prior to out entering Iraq how in addition to providing $25,000 to the families of suicide bombers that Saddam had provided training facilities for them too.

Then too it seems convenient for you to forget or ignore how Hans Blix himself made note of certain munitions and missiles that were located in Iraq and PART of the proscribed WMD. --

Hans Blix--who headed the U.N. team of inspectors trying to determine whether Saddam had complied with the demands of the Security Council that he get rid of the weapons of mass destruction he was known to have had in the past--lent further credibility to the case in a report he issued only a few months before the invasion:

The discovery of a number of 122-mm chemical rocket warheads in a bunker at a storage depot 170 km [105 miles] southwest of Baghdad was much publicized. This was a relatively new bunker, and therefore the rockets must have been moved there in the past few years, at a time when Iraq should not have had such munitions. . . . They could also be the tip of a submerged iceberg. The discovery of a few rockets does not resolve but rather points to the issue of several thousands of chemical rockets that are unaccounted for.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007540

One must be willing to broaden one's horizons and bring one's head out into the light to avoid that fecal contaminated tunnel vision inherent to the "progressive" left.

Collapse -
''progressive'' left.
by JP Bill / January 8, 2006 12:51 AM PST

Ahhhhh..labels

IF this is a ''label'' which you use to identify me, I don't understand, let alone know, if I am left, right of/or center, progressive, regressive or impressive, liberal, conservative, New Democrat or Flying Yogi

It depends on, what I feel like/if I wake up, in the morning or later on in the day..

Collapse -
I do not define you, YOU and your...
by Edward ODaniel / January 8, 2006 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: ''progressive'' left.

very own words and deeds are what define you.

In short, you have defined yourself as a member of the "progressive" left and such a definition defines the world you live in--magic mushrooms, caterpillers, rabbits and all.

Collapse -
no mention of
by JP Bill / January 8, 2006 1:12 AM PST

my AFDB, or is that included in ''and all''?

If you're opposite to me (progressive, left) you would be (regressive, right)? Or are there some things, progressive left, you believe in?

Can a person be ''left'' and correct?

Can a person be ''right'' and incorrect?

Some days I'm twisted, some days I'm bent, some days I'm of a certain ilk. Go figure.

Is that how it works?

Relax.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!