Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Sad commentary on American politics

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 22, 2006 11:57 PM PDT

The question in yesterday's Smooth Jazz Radio Listener Online Poll yesterday was "name something you'd have to have if you wanted to run for President."

Was the #1 answer principles, charisma, experience, or great ideas? Nope -- it was "money." So much for "Profiles in Courage!"

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sad commentary on American politics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sad commentary on American politics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In other words, a realistic answer...
by EdH / August 23, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

What's wrong with knowing the right answer? Or do you prefer moonbeams and pink ponies?

Collapse -
That's just the point, Ed
by Josh K / August 23, 2006 5:25 AM PDT

It shouldn't be the right answer but it is. S/he with the most money usually wins and you have to have quite a bit of it to even make a serious go at it.

Collapse -
Untrue...
by EdH / August 23, 2006 6:18 AM PDT

The person with the most money does not always or even usually win. But you need money to advance any kind of political campaign or career. It was true in ancient Babylon, The Roman Empire, Britain, Revolutionary America and in every other society you care to name.

There are plenty of people with integrity, inteligence, charisma, etc., both in and out of politics, but those qualities are worthless if the message can't be heard or the campaign can't be organized; and that costs money, as well it should.

Collapse -
And Howard Dean is a good example of both ...
by Evie / August 23, 2006 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Untrue...

... it was his ability to fundraise on the net that made him a viable candidate of sorts at the beginning. But it was not enough to sustain him. Had he not melted down in Iowa, more money would have flooded his coffers.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Not defending Dean in any way,
by duckman / August 23, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

But I don't think he had a meltdown. The media overblew that "screech" of his

Collapse -
Actually ...
by Evie / August 23, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

... that scream was an overhyped culmination of any number of nutty things the guy said previously on the campaign trail. He was a loose cannon. But I agree the scream was overhyped by the media because the Dem party stalwarts weren't about to allow him to get the nomination.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Too bad, would have been better than what they did have
by duckman / August 23, 2006 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually ...
Collapse -
I'm not so sure about that
by Evie / August 23, 2006 11:09 AM PDT

Just as Lamont will not be very palatable to the whole of the CT electorate, Dean would have been even less palatable to the whole of the national electorate. With the complicity of the MSM, Kerry was portrayed as at least "electable", moderate (what a joke) and with nominal credentials on national security. There is no doubt the media helped him get as close as he did. Dean wouldn't have even come that close.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Not saying Dean had a chance to win.
by duckman / August 23, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

It would have been nice to have a Liberal candidate really mean what he said rather that finger in the wind Kerry.

Collapse -
Agreed
by Evie / August 23, 2006 11:29 AM PDT

Not just "stick finger in the wind" politics, but outright deception (a la Clinton signing Welfare Reform to get re-elected with a wink wink to the lefties about how he would fix it later-- thankfully he was never a man of his word) as well.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Also, if Dean had gotten trounced badly...
by EdH / August 23, 2006 11:57 AM PDT

as I'm sure he would have, the left wing wackos would not be so emboldened as they are now, endangering the nation and the world.

Collapse -
That's what you get for listening
by drpruner / August 23, 2006 2:58 AM PDT

to ''smooth jazz''. Anybody programming Kenny G. and Bob James is gonna burn! Bebop lives! Happy

Anyway, I feel that the daily news is the primary 'sad commentary on politics'.

Collapse -
This might explain a lot of other things...
by EdH / August 23, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

I wonder is studies have been done on the brain softening effects of Kenny G "music".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by drpruner / August 23, 2006 7:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is Kenny G the cause or the effect?
by duckman / August 23, 2006 7:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Neither- it's the money.
by drpruner / August 23, 2006 9:05 AM PDT

The guy and his colleagues are actually great musicians, but choose to play elevator music because that's how a musician can support his family. It's all because of the Godless materialism that's TAKING OVER OUR PURITY OF ESSENCE AND RUINING OUR MINDS AND HEARTS

Oops, sorry; guess it's time for my pill. Happy

Collapse -
You may have a point, Dave...
by J. Vega / August 23, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

You may have a point with "Profiles in Courage", ghostwriters don't come cheap.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep.
by EdH / August 23, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Now,now,
by duckman / August 23, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

don't go destroying a Liberal legacy

Collapse -
You want "charisma" for a quality ???
by duckman / August 23, 2006 7:04 AM PDT

Scary, very scary

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Pretty much all JFK had.
by EdH / August 23, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep
by duckman / August 23, 2006 7:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Also odd that
by duckman / August 23, 2006 7:37 AM PDT

some people whine about someones "daddy" getting and doing everything for the son, but fail to connect that thought to another

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?