Question

SA350 projector HDMI issues

Hi, I am having problems with the HDMI input on my S27A350H.

The HDMI port on my first SA350 worked fine with a Samsung DVD player for 8 months and then intermittently failed - either producng a black screen leading to power saving whilst dvd was playing or failing to establish the HDMI connection on power-up. The VGA input to the monitor worked fine during all this period.

Since then I have replaced both the cable and the DVD player and eventually became convinced the problem lay with the SA350, which I had replaced under warranty. I am dismayed to discover that I still cannot get a reliable system - the current SA350 also fails to reliably find the HDMI connection at soft power-on.

Occasionally it will correctly display the DVD player home screen and allow normal operation, but then will fail at the next turn-on. I have tried all combinations of powering up the DVD player or screen first. By running a seperate screen from the AV output of the DVD player, I tried forcing the DVD player to 1080p resolution, which didn''t help.

The only thing which seems to help is to completely remove power from the SA350 and then start up.

I am my wits end with this problem, can you help ?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: SA350 projector HDMI issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SA350 projector HDMI issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just one idea.

Do other HDMI connections work?

- Collapse -
HDMI connections

The SA350 has only got a single HDMI port. If you mean other HDMI sources, then I've tried 2 different DVD players with HDMI outputs and got the same results. Also tried a replacement SA350 and replacement cables.

- Collapse -
So a PC fails too?

I looked at this model and it appears to be a PC display model and not a TV. That is, it may not do HDCP very well. Since the replacement failed, I'd play your consumer card and return it for a refund.
Bob

- Collapse -
PC monitor vs display

If it is only intended to work as a PC monitor, then a statement from Samsung to that effect would be nice.

I had thought that plugging a HDMI compliant monitor into an HDMI compliant DVD player would produce results, silly me.

Maybe the HDMI standards crew could explain that just because both bits of kit have HDMI logos on the boxes doesn't mean they will work together.

- Collapse -
I looked at the Samsung site again

And didn't come away with the feeling this would be the best choice for a DVD display.

You asked about the HDMI standards and for that you head to Intel. They hold all the patents and make the HDMI chips and more. And if you research this you may agree that HDMI is not consumer friendly as it has a very untrusting system. That is, it has HDCP. And if that fails, no display.

Component video never had that and as such always worked for us.
Bob

CNET Forums