Cameras forum

General discussion

S1 IS & A95

I have used some digital cameras as an amateur and now I want to use something more advanced. I am planning to buy a canon for max $400, however I couldn't decide which one is better: S1 IS or A95 (this is a new model but at least someone who got 75-80 can help me to compare)...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: S1 IS & A95
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: S1 IS & A95
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: S1 IS & A95

In reply to: S1 IS & A95

Your criteria of how you would determine "better" is not in your post. Some will define lower light performance, others will blast a camera off the list because the LCD colors are not that great.

Got a list?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: S1 IS & A95

I am looking for the following features:
* lower light performance is more important than LCD
* flexibility to manual use, it should teach me using manual features when i want to use an SLR camera in the future
* i want to use the camera to gain experience in photography(with all aspects)

Collapse -

It might help to look at the features side by side:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_a95%2Ccanon_s1is&show=all

Regarding low light ability:

Look down the side by side list for Aperture Range.
Click the ? next to that name for an explaination.
Light gathering ability is measured as aperture range.
The most common with digital cameras is F2.8
A better choice for low light would be a camera with a rating of F2.0 or lower. But that takes you out of your price range. Take a look at the Canon G5 or its new replacement the G6 for a low light camera.

Collapse -

I do agree with Snapshot2. The better camera for the dimmer light will probably make you broke. The more aperture you seek, the more money you'll spend. Either Canon S1 IS or A95 won't matter much. For the dimmer light, tripod and appropriate apperture are more necessary, just like the conventional camera. From my experience, the higher resolution will be quite helpful for the dimmer light, under manually adjusted mode. Choose what you can spend for. But, if you're willing to spend more, go for the higher pixels. Eventually, it does matter !

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.