PC Hardware forum

General discussion

S-Video or Composite as Primary Display

by glitch485 / January 19, 2006 3:53 AM PST

I was considering building my own media center pc, but I realized that my 27'' Sony CRT TV doesn't have any vga or dvi connections. But it does have s-video and composite connections.

Is it possible to have a s-video or composite connection as the computer's only display?

*Note: I will be buying a separate graphics card that has s-video or composite.

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: S-Video or Composite as Primary Display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: S-Video or Composite as Primary Display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
S-Video or Composite as Primary Display
by olstenj / January 19, 2006 4:58 AM PST

When you install the card you will have to install the drivers with a monitor plugged in. When this is done then you can enable the s-video/composite output. My experience is that it doesn't care if a monitor is plugged in or not. You can then use your TV as a monitor. A warning though...your resolution will not be good. Standard TV resolution is less than VGA (640x480). Somewhere around 512x320. Some of the newer video cards will let you output higher resolutions but that will only increase how much you can see. Last comments is to use s-video. It is a lot better than composite.

Jami

Collapse -
Response
by glitch485 / January 19, 2006 9:17 AM PST

So after you install the drivers you can boot up your computer and the tv being the only display?

Collapse -
S-video
by marinetbryant / January 19, 2006 9:33 AM PST

If you are going to use your tv as a monitor I don't quite understand the media center, unless you're going to upgrade the tv later. Just bought a video card for Mom's pc that has VGA, DVI and s-video connections. Always keep upgadability in mind.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?