Peripherals forum

General discussion

s-video hook-up to monitor, no sound???

by stylinhawyn / January 23, 2006 6:23 AM PST

I have a dell 2005fpw 20.1" WS monitor and I am trying to connect my PS2 to it using an s-video hook up.

I can see all the graphics fine, but there is no sound to go with it...

It probably has something to do with my monitor not having any sound capabilities. I have the yellow "composite video" hooked up to the monitor.

Do i need to route the yellow wire else where to get sound or is there some other way I can do this???

thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: s-video hook-up to monitor, no sound???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: s-video hook-up to monitor, no sound???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Solution
by Tien-Avenger / January 23, 2006 9:09 AM PST

Aye my man take a break and think about what you're doing for a second. you're plugging a S-VIDEO from your PS2 to a monitor into it's VIDEO-IN

notice a trend?

and you also stated it your self your monitor not having any sound capabilities ie it has no speakers.

few ways you can solve this solution. get some adaptor cables and rig it up to some crappy speakers or hook it up to home theater system.

Acutally the home theater system is the best way to go since the PS2 has digital audio out. all you need is a digital audio cable and a system that takes a digital in.

As far as that yellow wire that's strictly video the red and white ones are audio one for left one for right.

Collapse -
thx, a few more questions
by stylinhawyn / January 23, 2006 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: Solution

thx, and please excuse my stoopidity, I kinda knew something was up but needed someone to paint out the picture for me.

unfortunately for me, I don't own a home theater system and don't have the money for one right now.

dont mean to bug you, but you seem to know a lot about this stuff and i have a few more questions

If i bought a sound bar specifically made for my monitor, would that solve all my problems, I mean will it have the correct connections I need to set the sound up here?

Is there any other cheesy way to directly set up the sound right now with just the speakers I have for my computer right now?

Collapse -
Sound Bar
by Tien-Avenger / January 24, 2006 8:12 AM PST

if this is a normal speaker for normal computers and everyday use then i'm gonna take a wild stab that it's connector is a common one that you find on most headphones i dont know it's proper name. but yes you can.

you need to go to a local radio shack or best buy or frys electronics or something like that and ask a sales person to help you find the cables you need. you're gonna need something the red and white cables plug into (also known as audio cables) and the other end should look like a common audio jack. If this sound bar thingie has an audio in slot then you're all set but if it doesnt you're gonna need a male to female adaptor.

This should cost you atleast $30 down...i think...adaptors and cables cant be that expensive can they?

Collapse -
s video is for video only
by mrhifi / January 23, 2006 12:22 PM PST

You need to hook up a left and right audio cable usually red and white from you're video game to audio in on another device, like a amplifier that is hooked up to speakers.S video only carries the video.
Good luck,
B

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?