General discussion

?'s on the PowerBook G4

I am currently looking into getting a PowerBook G4 (15", 1.5 Ghz). Up until now, i've been using PC's. I just had a few questions on the PowerBook before i make the switch to Mac.

First, can you hook up an external monitor to the PowerBook? For example, i have a 19" Sylvania monitor that i've been using with my PC, but i'm wondering if its possible to conect the monitor to the PowerBook and use it as the monitor for when i'm at home?

Secondly, i currently have a Linksys wireless network for my DSL internet. With the PowerBooks capabilities, will i be able to connect to my Linksys network along with my other PC's? Or do i have to by the Apple AirPort to be able to succesfully set up my internet on the PowerBook?

If anyone can help me with this two things, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ?'s on the PowerBook G4
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ?'s on the PowerBook G4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Questions:

Yes, you can connect the external monitor to the PowerBook. The book that comes with the PB will tell you how.
All the PB's come with Airport Extreme built into them. Once again, the instruction book will head you in the right direction. You may also have to consult the Linksys documentation. As long as the Linksys device is a Router, there should be no problem.

It does all work together.

Hope this helps

P

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for the information! Yes, i do have a Linksys Router (Wireless Accces Point Router 802.11b), so hopefully i can get it to all work out.

Thanks again for your help.

- Collapse -
Dual Display Mode

Hi CSeymour,

I just bought a PB 12" two weeks ago. I love it. It will do everything your pc will and more, no joke. For the display question, you will have two options after connecting you monitor to your laptop. 1. You can just show what your laptop monitor sees. Or 2. you can add additional desktop space while using your monitor. Think of it this way your laptop is to the left ofthe monitor siting side by side. take your mouse and scroll right off the page of the laptop monitor and boom it will appear on the 19" monitor. This is a cool feature when you get into video and music editing. This is one of the reasons I purchased my pb. And to answer your question on the Wi Fi, just connect to your exisiting network thru the mac preferences page and boom, your online.

- Collapse -
Mac OS X works great in Windows environments

Your PowerBook should work with your Linksys router; AirPort is required, but it is built for Macs, so you might have less hassle with it. Try your Linksys network and see how it works for you.

Your monitor will work with your PowerBook, I'm sure, just make sure the input on your PowerBook is the same as the monitor, or you'll need an adaptor. You can even run two displays at once with a PowerBook for more screen real-estate. Very handy feature if you're looking up several things on the internet or running several applications (like trying to make a movie, you'll be running iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, possibly GarageBand).

Hope this information was of some help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info