Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

S&D/Spyblaster confict?

Using the latest of both I get the following:

S&D Finds StartPage-EH (Trend Micro - A trojan).

If I delete it,Spyblaster indicates the protection(restricted Sites) is removed in Spywareblaster for 4 items. I only find these 2 unchecked:

CoolWebSearch(2) 008i.com

CoolWebSearch (1249) myexexex.com

If I leave them unchecked,S&D comes up clean,If I recheck the item S&D finds StartPage-EH,etc,etc.

Conflict or indication CWSScum at work?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: S&D/Spyblaster confict?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: S&D/Spyblaster confict?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: S&D/Spyblaster confict?

In reply to: S&D/Spyblaster confict?

Conflict or indication CWSScum at work?

I would say indication CWSscum at work !
Collapse -

In reply to: S&D/Spyblaster confict?

Do you have the latest BETA definitions for Spybot-S&D?

If so, this may be a possible conflict between them and SpywareBlaster.

I find the same situation on my machine. Removing the items that Spybot detects as StartPage-EH disables SpywareBlaster protection for 4 items. Restoring them, will re-enable the protection.

Details of those items found by Spybot show them to be registry keys for Intenet settings.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: S&D/Spyblaster confict?

Thanks Brent,I concluded that after a Housecall and Cleaner scan came up clean. I just ignored the StartPage-EH find by S&D.

Collapse -

Badabing, my problem was in fact identical to yours. After removing StartPage-EH with S&D I now find it is back. Checked SWB and all restricted sites are still checked, so, like you I will ignore the "false" find in S&D.

Collapse -
Strange goings-on

Scanned with S&D. Found StartPage-EH, removed it. Scanned again immediately (having exited first) and it had gone. However, when I checked SWB the four entries in the restricted sites were unchecked. Rechecked them and found that StartPage-EH had "returned" in S&D. Go figure ????

Collapse -
Re: Strange goings-on

In reply to: Strange goings-on

In my case, I found that it was the recent BETA definitions for Spybot that caused this.

I created a new folder in my Spybot program folder and named it, Beta. Then I moved the 2 Beta files from the Includes folder into it. Problem solved. Spybot no longer detects StartPage-EH, and everything remains checked in SpywareBlaster.

HTH

Collapse -
It is posted in Spybots&D forum !

In reply to: Re: Strange goings-on

Collapse -
Here are more with the "same problem".......

In reply to: It is posted in Spybots&D forum !

Collapse -

Brent, did the same with the same result, but do the two beta files remain functional or are they now completely isolated from the system and useless?

Collapse -

They are isolated from Spybot using them in the detections.

Collapse -

If that is the case would it not be better to leave them to do their work and put up with the false positive in S&D ?

Collapse -

That's a personal choice, really.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Brent

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.