TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

S-301 Off the market?

by mnemy / July 17, 2007 2:32 AM PDT

The S-301 became a top contender and I wanted to see it in person but no one seems to be carrying it in stores. Then I look online to find that no one is selling new only refurbished and it gets me wondering what is going on. Is Denon coming out with an upgraded version? Will all the factory refurbished S-301 have the HDMI problems fixed?

The S-301 just looked like the perfect a/v system for my space restricted condo and I don't want to start my search all over again.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Post Script: I am not interested in the possibility of "upgrading" to a 5.1 or 7.1 system in the future. Just thought I would put that out there before it got suggested.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: S-301 Off the market?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: S-301 Off the market?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Likely to be superceded with HDMI compatible unit.
by NM_Bill / July 17, 2007 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: S-301 Off the market?

I am a fan of Denon components. I have no personal knowledge of the S-301. Have you heard it? I wouldn't consider buying any pig in a poke. When introduced in 2005 it was initially a c/net Editor's Choice.

Additionally, I do have very ordinary resources but a substantial investment in high quality stuff that is certainly NOT HDMI 1.3 compliant. Up to now, even previous HDMI versions have only been superior connected with HDMI vs. others about 50% of the time. Manufacturer implementation has been, frankly, spotty. This factor is something I would always wait for some consensus of professional review to judge. I wouldn't expect the now becoming available 1.3 components to solve all the prior possible shortfalls.

But, if proceeding with needing new components now, I would be inclined to wait-see or some good 1.3 results. The possible future features are just that; potential, without any current data. If they do develop, & some big motion pictures certainly will be further developed to these new standards, it will be welcome. But it will take a few years for widespread results.

I do value my old fashioned two channel stereo for my personal music, whereas the A/V 5.1 in the living room is just for it's own sake. I believe very good things can & do come in stereo, 2.1 & 3.1 systems. Not all even want things like 7.1. HT is about impact for special effects, not musicality & accuracy.

No, refurbs wouldn't have addressed HDMI features. Denon took a back seat to news coverage of the nice Onkyo entires into the 1.3 scene, like their 605 & 805 receivers. Denon has recently had just a couple of news releases & divulging of a few of their new products. They should hit their stride with some new introductions in August (& that's not far away.)

My longstanding inclinations urge people to create their own setups from individually selected pieces. At least you were not one attracted to Boses wife friendly products. One might need to have a tangle of wires (& some knowledge to deal with that.) I wouldn't act without auditioning some alternatives. Heck the initial msrp of the S-301 was $1600.

Have you sought out an NHT dealer to hear their Stereophile magazine feature cover photo mini-monitor? The NHT Three came out at $800 msrp. Street price is $600. My local dealer recently was offering them at $525. Yes, I heard them (pretty nice for a small package at the price,) but I'm not pushing them. Just making mention of one of many possible alternatives.

At this general price area I recommend seeking some of these to give a serious listen to: Paradigm Atom, PSB Alpha B or the bigger brother PSB Image T55, Energy RC-50, Epos ELS 3, Monitor Audio Bronze B or Klipsch RF-52. These are just a logical starting point of reasonable priced speakers well reveived for performance & value by several pro reviewers.

So, no speaker is perfect & brands have their own sound characteristic. Informed selection for this most personal part of a setup is of high importance so, in any event, I believe you have some footwork to do. Some regulars here will provide more specific discourse with you. Happy hunting.

Collapse -
Back to the beginning
by mnemy / July 23, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

No I have not seen or heard it in person. It during my search to find a place to do this that I realized that no one was selling it new anymore. My wife does have input into what we buy but we tend to be on the same wavelength with the desire for something small and sleek that will fulfill most of our needs; play audio and dvds plus be able to connect to portable audio players.

We both are adverse to putting a system together since we don't want to end up with a large number of separate components. If I could keep it to a receiver and dvd/cd player that complemented each other I might change my mind but I guess I need to start my search over.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?