Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Ryzen 5 2500u vs. Intel I5 8250u with MX150 Graphics?

Hey, I was looking for a computer for light gaming. I had a bad experience with my Lenovo laptop with the same Ryzen 5 processor above. Apparently it didn’t integrate the cpu/integrated graphics well with the computer. I tried everything to get it to work but it didn’t do anything. I found lots of people with the same problem and saw videos of other computers with the Ryzen 5 running perfectly, so I am returning it. Now, I was looking for a new laptop and I was set on an Acer Aspire 5 with 8GB RAM, 228GB SSD, the 8250u and MX150 Graphics until I went to Best Buy and they said the Ryzen would perform better because it is made for gaming. Didn’t make sense to me considering the Ryzen 5 has a lower performing CPU and 1GB of VRAM. So that’s why I’m asking here. For very light gaming like a decent FPS rate at 720p which will perform better?

SamN14 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ryzen 5 2500u vs. Intel I5 8250u with MX150 Graphics?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ryzen 5 2500u vs. Intel I5 8250u with MX150 Graphics?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by SamN14

Collapse -
This is very light gaming.

In reply to: Ryzen 5 2500u vs. Intel I5 8250u with MX150 Graphics?

Collapse -
Even with everything low?

In reply to: This is very light gaming.

I can settle for very light gaming. It won’t run pub-g with all low at 720?

Collapse -
The gamers I know would not say that's playable.

In reply to: Even with everything low?

Collapse -
Any specs with the MX150 other than the ideapad?

In reply to: The gamers I know would not say that's playable.

The ideapad compatibility issue is why I’m returning mine. For example the Acer Nitro 5 has the same Ryzen as I do and it performs way better. Do you know of any specs on the aspire 5 specifically because it might be more compatible with the hardware.

Collapse -
Sorry no.

In reply to: Any specs with the MX150 other than the ideapad?

I do not have this machine to test with so you are stuck with (a) no gamer I know would go less than the 1050 TI and most stick to the 1060 or better and (b) I've run into where it's not a maker/model issue but the owner is new to Windows, drivers and such. Item b is a big deal since most users never dealt with Windows since 1.0 like most of our moderators.

Collapse -
HP Pavillion?

In reply to: Sorry no.

How about the HP pavilion 15 with the 8300H and the 1050 TI. It’s the same price as both of the ones that I mentioned above. I would be sacrificing a good screen and an SSD, but I’m willing to do that if I can get a laptop with a 1050 TI for 600 bucks. I was looking forward to that metal, solid feel that the ideapads and swifts have but if it’s not going to give me the performance I am looking for I’ll just get the Pavillion.

Collapse -
I think that's a far better combo.

In reply to: HP Pavillion?

While I don't care for HP the company, you can always change the HDD to SSD but you are out of the basement for gaming.

Be sure to check out the machine in person to gauge the display quality.

Collapse -
(NT) OK. Thanks!

In reply to: I think that's a far better combo.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.