Speakeasy forum

Rant

Ryan urged people to vote early,

by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 6:58 AM PDT

WHY?

Will it change to outcome?

Are they expecting something to come out that will make you vote for the other side?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ryan urged people to vote early,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ryan urged people to vote early,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) change THE outcome
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 6:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why do you think Obama is conducting so
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 8:56 AM PDT

many rallies at colleges in my early voting state and providing buses to the polls at the same time?...or is that just good strategy? Wink

Collapse -
So it's good strategy
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 12:02 PM PDT

and there is nothing nefarious going on. Even though it's Obama that's doing it.

Collapse -
I've my own reservations about early voting
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 7:40 PM PDT
In reply to: So it's good strategy

I'd like a way for a person to be able to back out similar to how we do "buyer's remorse" around here. As it stands, a person is stuck once they pull the exit lever. This isn't a problem for those who only look at the "R" or "D" next to a candidates name and have no desire to look any closer. I like the idea early voting to avoid crowds but I'll do so closer to election day. No matter how we conduct elections someone is going to cry "foul".

As for what the Obama campaign is doing by paying for buses to take students to the polls is one thing I do find troubling. He had 20 buses at Ohio State the other week. I don't know what kind of buses were used but regular school buses carry 60 to 80 passengers I believe. This means Obama may have captured over 1000 sure votes in Columbus, Ohio during one visit. Not a bad haul but I don't hear too many people screaming. Should Romney try the same, I'm sure the noise of the protesters would be deafening. What do you think about Obama busing students to the polls? Is it OK with you? If so, would you mind if Romney did something similar?

Collapse -
RE: What do you think about Obama busing students
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 9:06 PM PDT

would you mind if Romney did something similar?

Go for it...

Collapse -
So you wouldn't mind if he picked up
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 10:20 PM PDT

GIs, and residents of VA facilities? That would be similar by reason of voting base. You don't need to answer. Personally, I'm of the opinion that candidates should not be arranging transportation for voters but I imagine this came from Obama's community organizer experiences. He learned that getting people riled up was easy but getting them to put themselves out to do anything about it was not. They'll pull a handle if someone will take them to that handle.

Collapse -
Do they know which candidate the person votes for?
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 10:42 PM PDT

They could be taking a voter that will vote for the other candidate.

Collapse -
Yep...you're right
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 10:56 PM PDT

The buses here in Columbus were reported as being designated for Obama and Democrat voters only but one would wonder if a few interlopers were able to tag along. There's also shopping in that area. Perhaps a few went to buy dorm decorations rather than vote.

Collapse -
perhaps some went to shoplift.
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep...you're right
Devil
Collapse -
actually in past elections
by Roger NC / October 21, 2012 1:18 AM PDT

there have been organizers that offered rides to anyone that called who didn't have transportation.

Emphasis were often on nursing homes, retirement communities, extremely poor neighborhoods etc.

There are always stories of people being offered a pack of cigarettes or some alcohol as a reward for going to vote on one of those rides too.

Now those students probably could have found their own ride. Just pointing out that offering rides to make it more likely someone will vote isn't new. When it's offered to a group that most will probably vote for your candidate, you take the odds that the favorable votes will far outweigh the oppositions. You're also going for the voter that is likely to procrastinate or be "too busy" to make it to the polls on their own. It's encouraging a "ok, why not do it now since they're making it easy" vote.

Collapse -
Another form of 'entitlement'
by TONI H / October 21, 2012 1:52 AM PDT

"You can't do it yourself so let us help you" mentality.

Collapse -
It's not Entitlement if it wasn't enacted by Congress.
by Ziks511 / October 21, 2012 3:09 AM PDT

What it is is good old American neighbourliness where you lend them a hose, or pick them up as they're walking to the store, or the bus stop when you're going that way?

You'd have died in the Depression Toni, if you hadn't been willing to accept freely offered help.

Didn't Ronald Reagan applaud Volunteerism? Of course his reason was so that he could fire Social Services personnel, but he still advocated volunteering to help your neighbours.

Sometimes the guy extending his hand to you, just wants to help you to your feet and let you go on your way. He's not stealing your wallet and your shoes. What a paranoid life you must live where everything is a conspiracy.

Rob

Collapse -
"Help" by bussing to vote
by TONI H / October 21, 2012 3:32 AM PDT

isn't volunteerism......it's fulfilling an agenda, especially when you know that the support has waned and kids aren't as active as they were the first time around. Students get rides everywhere they want to go, Rob.....bars, shopping, hanging out, etc....even kids in rural areas like mine and aren't old enough to vote can get a ride to the mall or theater. Where do YOU live that kids have to be bussed somewhere or they have no life? If they really wanted to vote badly enough for a candidate they would carpool and go do it. "Lend them a hose"????

Collapse -
RE: If they really wanted to vote badly enough
by JP Bill / October 21, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

If they really wanted to vote badly enough for a candidate they would carpool

NO...

if they want to vote "badly enough" (or get to a house party) they would go through an obstacle course....to get to the polling station (or house party).

IF they want to "vote" they'll take a bus or a car to the polling station.

Collapse -
Don't feel smug JP, Canadian voter turn out is sagging
by Ziks511 / October 23, 2012 1:07 AM PDT

like the US has, just not as badly. Obama won with a turn out which was around 59%, I'm not sure, but that may have been the Canadian turnout in the last Federal election.

Rob

Collapse -
It's been done sometimes by both parties
by Roger NC / October 21, 2012 3:28 AM PDT

besides, if I offer you a ride to vote when you don't have a car or can't drive, that's all bad?

I'll grant I'll probably campaign for my guy on the ride.

But you see only bad?

You must really hate people who go door to door for campaigning, be it political, religious, or for a community fund raiser.

Collapse -
(NT) It's only bad when the Obama campaign does it
by Josh K / October 22, 2012 12:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Romney's voters have chauffeurs. No busses needed. R
by Ziks511 / October 21, 2012 3:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) It's just good sense, Young people don't vote often. R
by Ziks511 / October 21, 2012 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
You've forgotten, or don't know the Old American exhortation
by Ziks511 / October 21, 2012 2:58 AM PDT

"Vote Early, Vote Often". It's no longer really applicable; now the Republicans have voting machines that will do that for them.

Rob

Collapse -
It may change where the money flows
by Roger NC / October 21, 2012 3:32 AM PDT

the next two weeks.

Once a state is consider won or lost it's no longer worth campaigning in.

News report this weekend estimated over 90% of campaign money had been spent in just 6 states. That may have been just the media advertising money, but then that's still most of the cost now.

I head the comment other day about they were running for the President of Ohio, so much emphasis had been place there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.