General discussion

Ryan's college sweetheart was black?

And his brother is married to a black woman? Oh those hateful, racist Republicans! What's a good Democrat supposed to say about that?!! Well, suprisingly it seems a lot, but so far the claim is "pandering". LOL, they just keep coming up with the wildest things to say, those silly Democrats.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Ryan's college sweetheart was black?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ryan's college sweetheart was black?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) as always, great job of documenting your post!
- Collapse -
You know...

I document my posts probably more than any other person here. Here's some documentation for you. Now, does this mean you are encouraged to start adding more documentation to your posts too?

Christian Science Monitor

"It was Keli Goss, a political reporter with the black-centric The Root website, whose essay, "Does Paul Ryan's black ex-girlfriend matter?" set off the debate after CNN's Peter Hamby tweeted the news.

In essence, Ms. Goff writes that having personal interracial relationships doesn't automatically disqualify politicians like Ryan from being bigots."

Daily Mail with lots of pictures.

"The cheerleader who Paul Ryan dated
in college and helped forge his uncompromising opposition to racism says
that she may not be a Republican but still supports the 'nice guy'.Speaking
exclusively to MailOnline, Deneeta Pope said she met the future vice
presidential candidate through friends at Miami UnivThe cheerleader who Paul Ryan dated
in college and helped forge his uncompromising opposition to racism says
that she may not be a Republican but still supports the 'nice guy'.Speaking
exclusively to MailOnline, Deneeta Pope said she met the future vice
presidential candidate through friends at Miami University some 20 years
ago. Pope, 40, said: 'Paul is a very nice guy, a kind guy and a family guy. He's very approachable and a very likeable person.'The
relationship and the negative reaction he said he suffered from his
so-called friends were a formative experience in the political evolution
of the VP pick who described himself as a 'big, big fan' of Martin
Luther King and is a staunch advocate of civil rights. (lots more at link) "

=====================
New York newspaper.

"Keli Goff, "political correspondent" for TheRoot.com (described as
a "leading online source of news and commentary from an
African-American perspective") who wrote a piece this week entitled, "Does Paul Ryan's Black Ex-Girlfriend Matter?"
In this incredibly dumb piece, Goff asks the all-important (to no
one) question, "Is the fact that Ryan has dated interracially a
noteworthy detail to consider when analyzing his politics and policies?

So criticizing the President is based on race and reveals his
thoughts on the subject? There's really no other way to read it - he
doesn't have a problem "attacking" the President, "beyond that, we know
little else about Ryan's thoughts on black Americans and race." Those
are her words, that is the order in which she put them, and that is what
they mean.
As evidence of Ryan's record on pigment-based pandering she cites two
liberal groups who don't like him or anyone with an R after their name -
the formerly venerable, currently sadly partisan NAACP and the
left-wing advocacy group National Poverty Center. "

- Collapse -
That's the New York Daily News, not a liberal bastion

From a discussion blog on newspapers.

"Right of Center:

Boston Hearld
NY Daily News
Washington Times
Dallas Morning News"

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/1448-1

Lumped in with the Boston Herald and the Washington Times and the Dallas Morning News, none of them moderately conservative. All of them Hard Right esp Washington Times.

Rob

- Collapse -
If you go to the link

I believe there's a link to the original article the Kelli person wrote there.

- Collapse -
RE: they just keep coming up with the wildest things to say

they just keep coming up with the wildest things to say, those silly Democrats.

You're a silly Democrat?

- Collapse -
LOL, silly silly billy
Laugh
- Collapse -
(NT) Who's a silly boy?...James is, yes he is.
- Collapse -
Did someone here call Ryan a racist?

Did I miss that?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your house if one of your kids came home with a black girlfriend/boyfriend.

- Collapse -
(NT) Ryan is one of those racists Republicans, right?
- Collapse -
You didn't read my post.....

....before you replied to it, did you.

- Collapse -
Barack went out with his share of white women too.

Dating someone isn't the same as understanding them, or the issues of their race. Nobody has accused Romney of being racist, though he has been guilty of playing the race card on occasion. That's just politics. It's people around him who say racist things, who act as his surrogates and whom he fails to disagree with or disavow, just like Senate Candidate Akin hasn't been disavowed or replaced after his myth of "real rape" and women's supposed "Immunity" from pregnancy from "real rape". Talk about a situation where you should step in personally and say, "Quit or I'll campaign against you."

I remember saying in a highschool debate that it would take 50 years for race to become less of an issue, and things are about on track. Another 50 years, and it may not matter at all.

But Republican overt racism has been displaced onto the supposed "problem" of illegal immigrants, who have been found to be more law abiding than their white American counterparts. Of course they are. They want to stay under the Police radar, not court jail time and deportation.

As for the "Obama dated white women" statement. That comes second hand, from a friend of a friend (workmate), who dated Barack Obama for 6 months or more at his first College. I trust my friend's reporting, and I didn't ask for the information, it was just passed along in 2009 long before this election cycle.

Rob

- Collapse -
(NT) Who cares who dated who?

CNET Forums