Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Russia has designed a "revolutionary" weapon that would make the prospective U.S. missile defense useless.

by Beast o Burden / March 29, 2004 9:34 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Russia has designed a "revolutionary" weapon that would make the prospective U.S. missile defense useless.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Russia has designed a "revolutionary" weapon that would make the prospective U.S. missile defense useless.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Russia has designed a

This sort of thing can cause a very dangerous situation. There is safety in a balance of technology, an imbalance like this could make the President to feel very threatened considering his responsibilty for all the American people. Sad

Collapse -
Re: Russia has designed a
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 29, 2004 12:36 PM PST

Steve, the basis of detente was "MAD," or "mutual assured destruction." A missile shield destabilizes that, which is why there is a joint treaty between the US and Russia forbidding anti-ICBM technology except for local systems near Moscow and Washington. So the Russian project is NOT destabilizing -- it's widely believed that we will unilaterally break those treaties if we ever develop "Star Wars;" this new technology would simply return the situation to the status quo ante. What IS destabilizing is our entire Star Wars program (to say nothing of a horrific waste of money better spent otherwise).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Waste of money, Dave...
by J. Vega / March 30, 2004 11:01 AM PST

After all, Dave, perhaps we should build things the way that we did with those new whiz-bang technology "stealth" aircraft that "magically" appeared. Figured out the "shell game" yet?

Collapse -
Re:Time to re-align the spy satellites (nt)

Collapse -
and the tooth fairy brings all good boys and girls...

Oh come on! Just how does this make a missile defense useless? Does anyone smell just a hint of exageration?

Collapse -
Re:and the tooth fairy brings all good boys and girls...

Hi, KP.

Frankly, the missile shield is close to useless already -- so far, there's been one successful test (out of more than a half dozen) with "dumb" warheads when the anti-missile folks pretty much knew when and where the warhead was coming. it wouldn't take much to make this lemon yseless, and a maneuverable warhead supposedly would.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Obviously, you don't know much about technology Dave.
by Kiddpeat / March 30, 2004 12:39 PM PST

The very worst thing you can say to a technologist is that it can't be done. The next thing you know; it's done. I'll bet people said it was foolhardy, and a waste of money to try to put a bomb through a selected window. I imagine the same things were said about missiles doing the same. I'm sure the experts said you could not shoot down a missile warhead in flight. I heard them! That was on the way to the Patriot Missile. I could go on, but I'll bet you can figure out the point by now.

Collapse -
Re:and the tooth fairy brings all good boys and girls...
by C1ay / March 29, 2004 9:13 PM PST

Many approachs would make a missile defense useless. Good cruise missiles would do it for one. As Ian mentioned, suitcase bombs. Suitcase bombs could be atomic or chemical. Unmanned drone aircraft would be another approach. Don't try to think it's not possible just because it seems exaggerated.

Collapse -
What I noticed, Kiddpeat...
by J. Vega / March 30, 2004 10:43 AM PST

Kiddpeat, what I noticed is that NASA just had a successful test of their "scramjet" (supersonic-combustion ramjet) which hit just over Mach7 on that televised live test.
Then TASS claims that Russia has a "hypersonic flying vehicle".

Collapse -
nt) Not a new design at all. The "man with a suitcase" The fourth protocol.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!