Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Rush, Robertson take heat

by Dango517 / January 14, 2010 12:56 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rush, Robertson take heat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rush, Robertson take heat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for the hatred...
by EdHannigan / January 14, 2010 8:12 PM PST

And HOW exactly are you different from them?

Collapse -
No middle ground
by Willy / January 14, 2010 8:24 PM PST

Are you trying to form a middle ground. Because, it has been much not their style to provide any. They give no measure of acceptance to anyone outside of their views. When they drink from the well of free speech they poison it by the tolerance others have to bear such utterance such as theirs. Let's call it was it is, fancy nonacceptance dressed in their oratory style which many view as BS in its most favorable terms. So, don't be surprised if someone cuts to the chase and wants it less in more direct terms. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Two wrongs make a right?
by EdHannigan / January 14, 2010 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: No middle ground

Even if what you say is true, there's no excuse for it. And it may not be completely true.

Collapse -
Apparently so...
by Willy / January 14, 2010 8:50 PM PST

For their right, many wrongs are committed to support their view. Of course, you may argue its not but face it, they make their money saying it and I thought they'll change if for anything just to keep their jobs. Worse, they believe what they say and "gosh darn it" its just more than hot air on ideals they offer as I said, no middle ground. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Lots of people believe themselves...
by EdHannigan / January 14, 2010 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Apparently so...

I don't know anyone who believes his own opinion is wrong.

But, people have the right to their opinions, no matter how wrong or stupid. Even when the opinion involves forcibly stifling the free speech of others, which, IMO is also wrong and stupid

Collapse -
what exactly may not be completely true?
by jonah jones / January 14, 2010 10:35 PM PST

the reports that they made the comments,
or the comments themselves?

Collapse -
It was a response to Willy's post...
by EdHannigan / January 14, 2010 10:55 PM PST

sooo... the things he said in his post.

Collapse -
An apples to broccoli comparison. They advocate publicly
by Ziks511 / January 15, 2010 7:12 AM PST

and often the de-legitimizing, scape-goating or dehumanizing of groups of people, which is hate speech. He wishes privately on a restricted access forum that they would stop, or at least stop broadcasting it. The two situations are not comparable in any way. The phrase "put a sock in it" is widely used to mean shut up, that's not hate speech, that doesn't single out a group of people for one charcteristic, being Haitian, or being black, or being gay or whatever and then advocate treating all memebers of that group the same way, unpleasantly.

You're using an old, failed and now discarded debating tactic trying to turn the argument back on the person opposing hatred by accusing them of the same thing. Opposing hateful behaviour in the individual or group is not hate, it is Constitutionally sanctioned free speech.

I repeat, the difference is between an audience of millions who look up to a person, and an audience of a dozen, not all of whom will agree with you, and the action requested; don't send aid to Haiti versus I wish he would shut up.

Rob

Collapse -
"don't send aid to Haiti"
by James Denison / January 15, 2010 9:06 AM PST

If only you would quit lying. He didn't say that, and YOU know it.

Collapse -
Yep
by EdHannigan / January 15, 2010 11:09 AM PST

Nothing but a pack of LIES, as usual from that source. I don't know why the Mods permit it

Collapse -
Are there anyone else's
by Steven Haninger / January 14, 2010 9:12 PM PST

sins you'd like to confess while you're at it? I don't think the forum message body has a character limit.

Collapse -
ROFL!!!!!
by James Denison / January 15, 2010 12:49 AM PST

ah, if we lived in a perfect world, like Dango. Wink

Collapse -
Pat Robertson is
by jonah jones / January 14, 2010 10:32 PM PST
Collapse -
The telling sounds worse than the viewing.
by James Denison / January 15, 2010 12:58 AM PST

All I see Pat doing here is noting some past history about that side of Hispanola and how things have never seemed right there since. What's going to be attacked next? The history books that relate the story too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TE99sAbwM

As I figured, the telling far exceeded the event.

Collapse -
The History
by James Denison / January 15, 2010 1:12 AM PST
http://countrystudies.us/haiti/9.htm

A slave rebellion of 1791 finally toppled the colony. Launched in August of that year, the revolt represented the culmination of a protracted conspiracy among black leaders. According to accounts of the rebellion that have been told through the years, Fran
Collapse -
Sometimes...
by J. Vega / January 15, 2010 6:47 AM PST

Sometimes people voice opinions based on their choice of religion that many people might call insensitive.
An example is a post here in the past that said:
"So, do you look on Mardi Gras as just a Roman Catholic festival, sort of a "feast of good things" which leads towards Lent? Is that how you feel New Orleans was using it? From what I've seen reported and heard of it, I'd say it seems more like the Hebrews after leaving Egypt, while Moses was in the mount receiving the Ten Commandments. Upon Moses return some were destroyed and the others made to drink bitter waters. There is quite a similarity. New Orleans has been destroyed and quite a few died in the bitter waters and the remainder have been turned into wanderers.".

Collapse -
sounds right to me
by James Denison / January 15, 2010 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Sometimes...

In fact, that sounds like something I might have said.

Collapse -
Considering that...
by J. Vega / January 15, 2010 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: sounds right to me

Considering that view, would you say that the same applies the disaster in Haiti? They also celebrate Carnival and Mardi Gras. I don't think those celebrations had anything to do with the disasters in Haiti and New Orleans.

Collapse -
I don't know that much about Haiti
by James Denison / January 15, 2010 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Considering that...

Other than it's part of a divided island and settled by former slaves. I also don't know if they celebrate their Carnival and Mardi Gras the same as New Orleans.

Collapse -
And where in that broadcast.....
by Josh K / January 17, 2010 5:58 AM PST

....was a prayer for the victims, a relevant quote from the Bible about God's compassion for the suffering, or a plea to his viewers to help?

Collapse -
Did you watch it?
by EdHannigan / January 17, 2010 6:10 AM PST

I think not.

Collapse -
That should not be surprising
by Angeline Booher / January 15, 2010 2:28 AM PST

Rush makes his living by saying what his admirers want to hear him say.

Robertson makes his by conning lonely house-bound folks into sending in money.

Angeline

Collapse -
Yep
by Dango517 / January 19, 2010 12:34 PM PST

Hey, you can smell a "rat" a mile away too. Happy

Collapse -
Nope
by EdHannigan / January 19, 2010 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: Yep

Doesn't know what she's taking about.

Collapse -
If it had not been
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2010 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Yep

..... for an alert banker, my widowed mother-in-law would have sent him every dime she had.

Prior to that it had not seemed necessary to invoke the Power of Attorney. But someone at her bank noticed the large checks that were being written to him regularly, and notified family near her in Florida.

My father-in-law was a minister, so she was well acquainted with the needs of the local congregation and outreach ministry. But she still began answering those calls over the TV for money. And big bucks.

Fortunately the holder of the Power of Attorney intervened before all of her nest egg was gone.

Thus I think it prudent that all who have elderly parents be sure to have drawn a Power of Attorney for financial matters. One for health care is also wise.

Mine have been drawn and are in good hands.

Angeline

Collapse -
(NT) Whose fault is that?
by EdHannigan / January 19, 2010 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: If it had not been
Collapse -
I guess you want me to say mine.
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2010 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Whose fault is that?

Or the family that lived near her in Florida.

Or the bank for not noticing it sooner.

Anybody on the face of the earth but Robertson, the TV huckster.

I am thankful I had enough sense to plan ahead for when my gray matter starts turning into slush. (Which you probably think it already has.)

Angeline

Collapse -
You call him a huckster...
by EdHannigan / January 19, 2010 11:07 PM PST

But isn't Obama a huckster too then? He conned a lot of people into sending him money and voting for him. What's the difference? It's in the eye of the beholder. I'm assuming Robertson did not come to her house and rob her at gunpoint.

So, yes, he's the last person to blame, if blame is appropriate.

Collapse -
There was
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2010 11:57 PM PST

..... nothing about Obana or anything political in my post.

But you would turn the sunrise into an excuse.

But I keep health in mind so tolerate it more than I should.

Angeline

Collapse -
No..
by EdHannigan / January 20, 2010 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: There was

I was merely pointing out the truth. No need to abuse me for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?