Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Rush Limbaugh goes postal over the Chevy Volt

by Ziks511 / November 23, 2010 11:12 AM PST

He has devoted two separate radio spots to his disagreement with the idea of an electric car. The second was occasioned by Car and Driver naming the Volt Car of the year. Car and Driver then replied to Limbaugh with an editorial ending, and I'm paraphrasing here, "We drove the car Mr Limbaugh that's the basis on which we made our decisions, perhaps you should try driving one. But please remember, driving and Oxycontin don't mix."

I picked up the exchange on MSNBC, but it was comprised of film of Limbaugh on the radio, and quotations from Car and Driver. There was no obvious manipulation or mischaracterization.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rush Limbaugh goes postal over the Chevy Volt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rush Limbaugh goes postal over the Chevy Volt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
they are both wasting time
by James Denison / November 23, 2010 3:23 PM PST

arguing over tin cans. They come, they go, people choose to drive much the same they always want, and most don't prefer tin cans.

Collapse -
No way of telling if that exchange actually happened...
by EdHannigan / November 23, 2010 11:10 PM PST

No link again. As usual.

But Rush makes an excellent point about the Volt on his website... It is priced at over $40 grand! Nothing "green" there except the green some fools would be shelling out for the thing, if anyone is stupid enough to buy one.

Collapse -
I have my own issues with the Volt,...
by Paul C / November 23, 2010 6:06 PM PST

...and could care less what either Rush or Car and Driver think.

Issue 1: The internal combustion engine in the Volt exists only to provide electricity to drive the car after the batteries discharge and possibly to recharge them (if any current is left over after the needs of operating the car are met). The logical choice for such an engine based on cost of operation, reliability and long life would be a diesel engine. GM chose a gas engine. I know that GM can build good large diesel engines; it bothers me greatly that it can't figure out how to build a small one, when there are many other manufacturers who can.

Issue 2: {b]Premium unleaded gasoline? Oh, puhleeze! If I wanted to burn premium unleaded in a new GM car, I'd buy a Cadillac CTS-V. I wouldn't be "saving the planet," but I'd be having a whole lot more fun. BTW, the CTS-V isn't that much more expensive (see Issue 4)

Issue 3: A 3,800 pound curb weight in a mid-size sedan? GM couldn't figure out how to shave say, 500 - 800 pounds off this barge? In a car, weight is the enemy of both performance and fuel economy. It's sad to report that GM surrendered to the enemy without a fight.

Issue 4: The Volt's sticker price (before whatever "incentives" the social engineers who write the Federal and state tax codes come up with) is.... $41,000! The aforementioned Cadillac CTS-V coupe costs $62,000. More to the point, the upcoming Nissan LEAF all electric car - a much smaller vehicle to be sure - costs about $25,000 (before the aforementioned "incentives".) Yes, the Volt has a longer range thanks to its add-on gas engine, but is the price penalty really worth it, given that like existing hybrids, the Volt's cost/mile rises dramatically any time the gas engine is used?

Issue 5: The warranty on the Volt's lithium-ion battery pack is 8 years/100,000 miles. So, tell me: What will be the resale value on a clean, mechanically sound Volt with 80,000 miles on it? I bet it's not much, given the certainty that after the new owner runs the thing for a couple years, he or she will be looking at a repair bill in the thousands of dollars for new batteries. I have this issue with all hybrids/electric cars, by the way.

Issue 6: From where, exactly will all this extra electricity to charge these things come, especially since we seem hell bent to eliminate all existing forms of electric generation in favor of unproven and maybe illusory "green power" sources?

Like every attempt at "green cars" I've seen, the Volt fails the real world tests of practicality and economics. We would have been much better served had we spent money (when we actually had money to spend) on improving mass transit and reengineering our cities so that people would actually want to live and shop there rather than create a society where copious amounts of energy are spent going to and from the suburbs

Collapse -
Issue 6 is most important....
by EdHannigan / November 23, 2010 11:39 PM PST

For ANY electric car, you have to factor in the cost to the environment of generating the electricity or it can't really be called "green." And until we start using nuclear power more electric cars probably have a limited future.

I agree about the diesel as well.

And yes, the $41K sticker takes it out of the running anyway.

Collapse -
Baby steps...
by Willy / November 24, 2010 8:12 AM PST

The electric car in general has to be put to the masses. Only then after "real world use" will the innovations become more forthcoming and improvements of the whole concept be able to meet the demands as they become more apparent. If anyone reads the history of the automobile in its infancy will know it took a long time to get where were at now. There will be short-coming but more importantly having the electric auto available and off the drawing board will make for a better car in the future. No doubt it will be bedeviled until *all* the kinks are gone but in the meantime, it will be there to be sorted out. You can't fix it until the numbers of mass production provide the requirements as they become known. Like the 1st gas autos that were owned by the rich and later filtered down due to mass production and keen manufacturing abilities was the gas auto a common feature. There was no auto like today, older autos had solid tires, no shocks, no electric start, simple covers, lousy brakes, lousy reliability, poor cooling and in many cases little in the way of proper roads. But, look what we have now and it took over a 100yrs. to get here. so give the electric car a chance and maybe it will work out. At least now it a serious attempt and not some concept that can be shelved in short order. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?