Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Rush and NFL to part in SL Blues

by Willy / October 14, 2009 10:57 PM PDT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_bi_ge/fbn_rams_limbaugh

For now Rush has been dumped as it were from any further participation into the SL Blues purchase. It became "complicated" as Checketts was quoted of saying. The link pretty much states it all to include Rush's comment via radio, that is wasn't about him. IMHO, it was always about him and his view that it wasn't was being very disingenuous to say the last. Let's hope the NFL continues this wisdom in the future. -----Willy Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rush and NFL to part in SL Blues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rush and NFL to part in SL Blues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So the smears and lies worked!
by EdHannigan / October 14, 2009 11:34 PM PDT

That's a shame. Now I'll have to boycott the NFL.

Since I hate football anyway that will not be a problem.

Collapse -
I find this intersting...
by EdHannigan / October 14, 2009 11:39 PM PDT
"The move was hailed by the Rev. Al Sharpton, one of the most vocal critics of Limbaugh's bid."

So, spearheading a hoax which caused huge racial dicord and ruined reputations, and fomenting a riot in which innocent people were murdered is okay, but expressing unpopular opinions is not?

Hmmm.
Collapse -
Not good
by Willy / October 15, 2009 12:29 AM PDT

You said, "So, spearheading a hoax which caused huge racial dicord and ruined reputations, and fomenting a riot in which innocent people were murdered is okay, but expressing unpopular opinions is not?"

So where did that come from, not from the link I posted. Its not just about unpopular opinions, he just doesn't offer a solution or rather he'll pick at festering wounds thus Rush is not a healing force. The general public saw what it wanted to see and the disapproving majority got loud enough his participation was rethought of. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If you had lived in New York City as I did...
by EdHannigan / October 15, 2009 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Not good

when Sharpton was making his name, you would know all. about the Tawana Brawley case and the Crown Heights riot. Look 'em up. It's a miracle that Rev Al did not end up in jail, where he belongs. As far as I'm concerned he is a murderer or at least an accessory to murder.

Collapse -
I think it's extremely hypocritical....
by Josh K / October 15, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

....of Al Sharpton to be calling anyone "divisive." He's still hiding his money to avoid paying Steven Pagones the damages he was awarded.

That doesn't change the fact that Rush Limbaugh is a racist and an egomaniac. He seems to have forgotten that he does not have a legal right to purchase a football team, while the team DOES have the legal right to refuse to sell to him, for any reason they want within the law.

Collapse -
Don't you think, Josh...
by J. Vega / October 15, 2009 3:00 AM PDT

I realize that many people don't care for his Conservative point of view, but don't you think that false attributions of quotes in order to brand him a racist is a little much?
I can't help but wonder if it's a progression of the "Joe the Plumber" tactic, progressing from things the object of the attack said to things that were not said. If this tactic were to progress, where could it lead, eventually to something with a title like "The Protocols of the Elders of Conservatism"?

Collapse -
I know there are fake quotes out there
by Josh K / October 15, 2009 6:38 AM PDT

And of course I don't condone such things. But there are also plenty of real examples to choose from. The last one is especially touching.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2549

As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back."

A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

In 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: "Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."

In a similar vein, here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a 90-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's Jeffersons when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-- when discussing black leaders.

Collapse -
Oh gee, how terrible.
by EdHannigan / October 15, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

Give me a break! Pretty mild stuff compared to what can be heard/seen on SNL or Howard Stern or even the Simpsons many another show. How silly.

I'm curious. How did they know the caller was black? And how do you know she didn't actually have a bone in her nose?

Don't you realize that letting BLACK schoolchildren off of school for any reason, but not other school children is RACIST?

Hmmmm....

Collapse -
how do you know she didn't actually have a bone in her nose?
by Josh K / October 15, 2009 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh gee, how terrible.

OK, ya got me. Since it's so common for African-Americans to have bones in their noses it was probably an educated guess.

Geez, Ed.

Collapse -
Maybe it was this guy.
by James Denison / October 15, 2009 7:53 AM PDT
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/27/clear-channel-censors-ads-for-harry-shearers-new-bush-mocking-cd/

or one of these guys.
http://www.japanprobe.com/2009/09/16/japanese-comedy-primitive-tribesmen-with-bones-in-their-noses/

or this one....oh wait, that's a nose clip
http://www.wellsphere.com/green-living-article/nose-woes/90177

or this cute gal!
http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/dress-up/acc/jewellery/bone-through-nose.html

There's a suprising number of people with a bone in their nose. Actually everyone has a bone in their nose, but that's natural.
Collapse -
Actually everyone has a bone in their nose
by Josh K / October 16, 2009 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe it was this guy.

Nope. Nobody has a bone in their nose. It's cartilage, which is why a "broken nose" is a bit of a misnomer. It's also why you never see a skeleton with a nose, just a hole where it used to be. Wink

Collapse -
You don't know.
by EdHannigan / October 15, 2009 9:39 AM PDT

Nor do you know what her race was.

Anyway, how exactly is it racist?

Collapse -
How exactly is it racist?
by Josh K / October 16, 2009 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: You don't know.

OK, now you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and going A LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Not playing.

Collapse -
Nope.
by EdHannigan / October 16, 2009 1:27 AM PDT

Seems to me that YOU are doing that. I asked a question. Why won't you answer it?

Collapse -
more la la la's
by James Denison / October 16, 2009 2:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
You dodged my other question..
by EdHannigan / October 15, 2009 9:47 AM PDT

Don't you realize that letting BLACK schoolchildren off of school for any reason, but not other school children is RACIST?

I think that's a little more serious than saying someone has a bone in her nose.

Collapse -
Rush Limbaugh is Satire?
by JP Bill / October 15, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh gee, how terrible.

SNL is a talk show/call in program?

Collapse -
no,but there's something they have in common
by James Denison / October 15, 2009 10:54 AM PDT

Bony noses. One has to wonder if Harry's going to put a bone in Obama's nose on SNL next.
============================
Writer for SNL, Harry Shearer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001BNG996/crooksandliar-20/ref=nosim

http://crooksandliars.com/2008/08/08/cl-welcomes-harry-shearer-to-discuss-songs-of-the-bushmen

Harry Shearer is a renaissance kind of guy. Actor, writer, radio host, satirist and recent awardee of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, you've seen his work in everything from Saturday Night Live to This is Spinal Tap (one of my all time favorite movies) to The Simpsons to the political novel Not Enough Indians.

And now, he's come out with the satirical album, Songs of the Bushmen, which lampoons the you-couldn't-make-this-stuff-up headlines that is the Bush Administration. He offers songs like 935 Lies, which we've featured here at C&L before. And the album has been the cause of its own controversy as well, when Clear Channel banned Harry's songs and any ads for the album because they objected to the cover you see above:

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/27/clear-channel-censors-ads-for-harry-shearers-new-bush-mocking-cd/
The New York Post reports today that the ?notoriously conservative? company?s outdoor advertising arm has banned signs for the album ?because the cover depicts the president with a bone through his nose.? Here?s what they don?t want you to see:

Collapse -
He may be an egomaniac...
by EdHannigan / October 15, 2009 3:13 AM PDT

but I'm not buying racist. Anyway, would he be the first or only racist owner? I doubt it.

Yes, they have every right to keep him out. That doesn't make it right though.

Collapse -
I've heard Rush
by Roger NC / October 15, 2009 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Not good

make some pretty derisive statements in the past, and seen reports of many more since.

But I've see Al Sharpton mugging for the news camera time and time again, and most often not knowing what he was talking about. Every accusation of a white on black crime that made the evening news he was there ranting about racism and bias.

In the cases that the next few weeks proved it had nothing to do with racism, there was no sign of him or his crowd around to retract or apologies. Not even when the crimes turned out not to have even happen and he had accused all the local officials of being racists if they didn't find someone guilty.

Personally, I think Rush has wandered further and further away from where he started. Or maybe over the years he's just become less and less restrained by good sense and a bit of respect for any but himself. While always on the attack for the right, and sharp enough to counter any argument and flay his opponent in an ad hoc debate, several years ago I didn't see him as quite as vehement and bitter as he now appears.

Sadly, I don't see much difference it several prominent "spokesmen" of the left and the right in terms of reasonable attitudes and discussions. They're all more about their personal fame, money, and destroying any opponents than anything else. Their political stances are even just for the controversy and attention it brings them rather than a true devotion to anything.

Collapse -
I suspect there are many claiming to be independent
by Steven Haninger / October 15, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I've heard Rush

voters but who actually have fairly strong philosophical leanings toward one party or another. But, they refuse to openly state such as they don't want to identify with the wing nuts of that party.

I'll also say that folks like Rush and his liberal counterparts need to take chances in order to not become stale and predictable...thus losing their audiences. We see this in all forms of entertainment....the term being use is "pushing the envelope". A raunchy comedian gets raunchier just to keep getting attention. Getting bad press keeps these people in the spotlight and that often seems welcome to them as it enhances their careers.

Collapse -
This could be good
by James Denison / October 15, 2009 12:57 AM PDT

Rush can form a consortium now to create a separate football league. Eventually it might even become more popular than the NFL. At the worst it might "merge" with them later on and of course Rush would still be an owner.

Collapse -
Sure
by JP Bill / October 15, 2009 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: This could be good

It would have to be a different consortium than the one that kicked him out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.