How To forum

Resolved Question

Runtime Error R6016

by NickNn1 / March 10, 2015 6:59 AM PDT

Hello Guys,
I get on a computer the "Runtime Error R6016 - Not enough space for thread data"
I looked on Google, not very helpful.
I do not want to install anything to fix the issue and I don't want to restore the computer.
I was wondering if anyone could help me fix the issue without installing any other software.
The computer has Windows 7 and the error message appears with the path to C:\Windows\system32\..hostprotocol.exe or something like this, can't remember for sure.
Thanks in advance!
Nick

NickNn1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Runtime Error R6016
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Runtime Error R6016
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by NickNn1

Collapse -
I don't think you can be helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Runtime Error R6016

All the fixes I've read involve installing this or that or some system restore (which is NOT system recovery.)

HOWEVER "hostprotocol.exe" is more interesting. You could try disabling the indexer. This is all over the web but I see John Rudby tell how at:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/searchprotocolhostexe-using-100-cpu/f0241aac-fcb4-472d-83e5-e9f9f509546a

I'd try that.

But I fear it's the usual malware infection but as you don't want to install anything you may have to muddle along.
Bob

Collapse -
Cheers
by NickNn1 / March 11, 2015 6:41 AM PDT

That's a computer at work, I did the /scannow, chkdsk commands and no errors in result, checked if Visual C++ needed repair, nothing, we have a good AV program, Virus definition is up to date, No Windows Updates to be installed...it is frustrating...system restore is impossible as the user has made a lot of modifications to the files, it will only annoy him don't even dare saying about reinstalling the Windows.
Thanks Bob, will keep trying to fix it, even though have no clue how Grin

Collapse -
Oh, it's not yours?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Cheers

Did you disable the indexer?

System Restore does not affect user files. And no one goes without backups. I mean what if the HDD just fails? Are they ready?
Bob

Collapse -
Indexer
by NickNn1 / March 11, 2015 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, it's not yours?

Didn't disable the indexer as it may not be good for the user, he is creating quite a few files, scanning and sending e-mails, It will only create problems in the future i believe. The error happened once.
The PCs get backed up every night, so if I will do a restore in the afternoon there will be a bit of information lost as the users have the good habit of saving the files locally.
I was thinking to copy the SearchProtocolHost.exe from my PC to the user's.
Thanks,
Nick

Collapse -
We've disabled it for years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Indexer

Can you share the downside?

Collapse -
Downside?
by NickNn1 / March 11, 2015 7:07 AM PDT

Not sure what downside is, This is my first thread.
I believe you want an image of some sort about the error.
I can't provide any screenshots due to company's policies.

Collapse -
I understand that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Downside?

Since it's a company just move to calling Microsoft for a fix. I worried you would not find a solution due to the limits you lead with. However there was a clue there and something I would try to lighten the load on what can trigger that error.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by NickNn1 / March 11, 2015 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I understand that.

The error message has like title Microsoft Visual C++
Says : Runtime Error R6016 Not enough space... and the path : %Windir%/system32/searchprotocolhost.exe
Can't say more than this I'm afraid.

Collapse -
Which is why I thought about the indexer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

We know it can blow up on some files and since replacing it from another machine is never the right move (we use SFC to check the OS files) I thought the next move is to turn that off.

There's other tweaks to the indexer such as limiting what folders it works on but as you appear to be the IT lead I'll let you try that.
Bob

Collapse -
I am new in IT and I know it
by NickNn1 / March 11, 2015 7:32 AM PDT

I am sure I am an IT newbie, You know the thing better than me, I worked in IT for less than a months, quite sure you have years of experience. Don't understand how turning the indexing off will solve a problem that appears once every 90 times(the lowest number I saw on forums)
Thanks for your help any ways, sorry for taking your time.

Collapse -
No problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 7:48 AM PDT

I'm sorry I was unclear. Sometimes with Microsoft products there is no "cure" except to avoid what triggers the problem. Since we know that indexing can blow up, we can side step the issue by turning it off or limiting what gets indexed.

Here's a really old example. It's very old. Long ago I found a .jpeg that would lock up Windows Explorer. Worse yet, if you copied it to the desktop then the user's account would lock up on log in.

I thought it was a fine thing to carry with me to a Microsoft seminar and ask for some help. What happened?

After explaining the issue to Microsoft (I was in Redmond no less) the response was "Don't do that." and "Don't put that file on the desktop."

At no point did any softie consider this to be an error or bug worthy of fixing. For me this was a great lesson in how Microsoft works.
Bob

Collapse -
I see what you mean now
by NickNn1 / March 11, 2015 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem.

I will unchek the box in the properties of the disk then, or will consult with the manager which ones to uncheck from the advance list and will see if the user will experience the problem again in the future.
I only thought the issue could be resolved as you would resolve a printer issue, can't print, check the ink, paper, printer on...yale yale...
I saw on forums ideas of modifying the code in order to solve the issue, as a 1st line, don't think I can do that or use any known good software other that the ones we have license for.
Thanks for your help!
Nick

Collapse -
Answer
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 8:02 AM PDT

Sorry it took this many posts to share the stories why I thought about this change.

Collapse -
Answer
Quotas
by James Denison / March 11, 2015 11:43 AM PDT

If you share this with one or more other users, then it's likely each user has had a quota set on how much hard drive space they are allotted. So, it can appear you have half a drive left of room, b ut still have hit the end of your quota assigned by your boss or IT department for each user. In XP it's in the performance area I believe.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!