Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Runtime error

by shiro / October 31, 2004 10:02 PM PST

I've just installed a program. when i run it for the first time it was ok but after i restarted the comp and tried to run it again, it won't run anymore and a runtime error message will appear. anyone knows how to overcome/fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Runtime error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Runtime error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Runtime error
by roddy32 / October 31, 2004 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Runtime error

Please follow this Forum tip and also give a hint as to what the program is please.

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
runtime error
by ddbpack / October 4, 2005 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Runtime error

you also need to supply runtime error codes if there is any

Collapse -
runtime error 64
by ashrafali43 / July 3, 2009 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: runtime error

when i click on restore my active desktop runtime error 64 appears
how can i solve this problem
please help me

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Runtime error

Shiro,

Yep, we need more information about your computer...The name of the program? Your operating system? The EXACT runtime error?

Do your run antivirus software? Spyware removal tools?

The more info you give us, then better informed our answer will be.

Let us know so we can help.

Grif

Collapse -
by shiro / November 1, 2004 9:36 AM PST

The program that i've installed is Matlab 7.0 (release 14)

I'm running on a windows XP professional(service pack 1).

My comp spec are pentium 4 (1.6 Ghz) 256MB of RAM.

Yes, i do run antivirus software and spyware removal tools.
The antivirus im using right now is avast and the spyware removal tool is spybot.

The exact runtime error...well when i double click on the matlab icon there's this pop up error.
The title of it is 'Mircosoft Visual C++ Runtime Library'. Inside the pop up error is written 'Runtime error!', the place where the .exe matlab file is located and continue by this message 'this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.'

The problem is i've tried installing it in my fren's comp and it works. There isn't any runtime error.

Hope all of this info helps.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 1:50 PM PST

The specific file and path to that error would also help. IN addition, at the end of that error, I believe it also says: "Please contact the application's support team for more info". Have you contacted the "Matlab" support folks?

Apparently, it's happened to others. Here are some links:

MatLab 7 Runtime Error - WinXP

Re: Runtime Error when opening Matlab 7... please HELP!

Here are some solutions from the Mathworks site:

Why does MATLAB crash with a "Runtime Error" or segmentation violation during start up on my Windows computer?

MathWorks Support Site Includes a Search Ability

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by shiro / November 1, 2004 5:25 PM PST

Thanks Grif, it sure helps a lot. I have managed to fix the problem. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Shiro, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 10:47 PM PST
Collapse -
SOLUTION!!!
by kamranv / October 4, 2005 9:24 AM PDT

MATLAB worked fine after installation, until I restarted. That's when the same error you got started coming up for me.

//
Solution:

Open 'regedit' (Start -> Run -> type 'regedit' and press enter). In HKEY_CURRENT_USER open SOFTWARE and then MathWorks. Delete all of the subfolders in MathWorks.

Press ctrl+alt+del -> click 'Processes' and close all MATLAB related processes (I had 3 running with names something like MATLAB and matlabserver).

Run MATLAB again, and hopefully it will work now!
\\

I'm running MATLAB Release 14 on WinXP Home

Collapse -
Kamranv, The Solution Was Already Found And...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 4, 2005 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLUTION!!!

...why did you post to a thread that's almost 1 year old?

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!