Computer Help forum

General discussion

Runtime Error 1106 'itm_item_description' is undefined

by rostovguru / April 12, 2008 4:22 AM PDT

I have this runtime error 1106 ( 'itm_item_description' is undefined ) pop up every now and then. Can anyone help troubleshoot or discuss this problem. I have Presario A901XX with Windows Vista.
Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Runtime Error 1106 'itm_item_description' is undefined
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Runtime Error 1106 'itm_item_description' is undefined
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Are you sure of that error?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 4:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Runtime error
by rostovguru / April 12, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. Yes of course!

Collapse -
You're the first to report this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 4:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Runtime Error 1106
by rostovguru / April 12, 2008 5:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
What I learned about Office upgrades is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Runtime Error 1106

Just uninstall the older versions, then install the new one.

Collapse -
I see something there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Runtime Error 1106

In one case it's reported as "Line: 1106 'itm_item_description_title' is undefined" and your post is noting Runtime Error.

One thing is not the other and why I can't find the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Runtime error
by rostovguru / April 12, 2008 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I see something there.

Thanks for reply Bob.
The problem mentioned in that forum is the same to mine.
Let me describe what the window says:

A Runtime error has occurred.
Do you wish to debug?

Line : 1106
Error: 'itm_item_description_title' is undefined

This is exactly how it appears.

Hope this information helps.

Thank you for your patience!

Collapse -
I'll look later but for now a question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Runtime error

I asked a few posts up if there was an error in the message which you told me no. What changed from then to now?

Collapse -
Runtime error.
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2008 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Runtime error

You don't tell
(a) in what program the message pops up (it's a typical IE message, so I assume Internet Explorer)
(b) when it pops up (is it related to anything you do, or does it popup even if you go and drink some coffee for half an hour leaving the machine doing nothing?)

In the meantime, if you don't like the message, turn it off:
http://www.sureshotsoftware.com/articles/scripterrors.html

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Symantec Internet Thread Meter
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2008 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Runtime error.

Indeed, the error message seems related to this program. As you can read on http://gallery.live.com/liveitemdetail.aspx?bt=1&li=9a20e1fe-7e27-44a5-a4c9-21e08bb6bd15 there are more people with this issue.

Alas (or maybe luckily) it's not a program from Symantec, but a free program (a Vista Sidebar gadget) written by someone calling himself gadgetologist. And programmers make errors, and some errors show up as messages (unless you turn the message off, as I said above).
As support for this erroneous gadget seems to be non-existent, all I can advise is to uninstall it and forget about it for at least a month. Then try again if gagtetologist has made a better version.

No need to complain about free gadgets here. You can complain with the maker, and maybe you can complain with Microsoft about a certain lack
of quality control on their site, letting you download such crap.

Moreover, I'd say Symantec is a registered trademark, so they shouldn't even allow a program named like this. It's like I put some crappy program on a download site calling it Microsoft Internet Speedup Program.

Kees

Collapse -
Also see ...
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2008 7:09 AM PDT

if Windows update happened to install KB944338 yesterday. That's an update for the scripting engine giving this error message right now. Could be a coincidence, but could be related also.

If it's installed, the description of this update says you can uninstall it from Control Panel>Add Remove. If that isn't the case (I can't try, because the update failed with me), try the uninstall in the (blue) NTUninstall subfolder in Windows. That should always work.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
How about your telling us ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 12, 2008 4:54 AM PDT

what you have running (ALL services and applications) at the time you get this error.

Check your system and application logs in your event viewer to see what errors are being logged (ID number and SOURCE).

Collapse -
runtime error
by rostovguru / April 12, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply.
I dont see any particular correlation with any applications as the problem started occurring since yesterday evening.
Also can you explain how I can check the log files.

Collapse -
I don't think this is being logged.
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2008 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: runtime error

Given the info above (that wasn't yet present when you posted) it's a script error (javascript or vbscript) popping up from something like Internet Explorer's engine or maybe Windows scripting host. Most likely a program error in a free Vista gadget, as I explained above. Nothing to worry about for the moment.

Incidentally, I just tonight get a failed Windows security update KB944338 for the scripting engine. But I don't think it's related. I don't feel like contacting Microsoft about it yet, although (surprise!) Microsoft Online Assisted Support is free for problems with updates. A Microsoft forum talks about a missing prerequisite and please check the log file. I'll wait for a discussion in these forums, I think. Don't even know where to find the log file to check at the moment.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer by rostovguru.
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2008 9:25 PM PDT

I edited the answer to remove a personalized link where an ordinary one sufficed.

I've got some doubts if HP would recommend a random third-party registry cleaner and if registry cleaning would help with this particular error. But just in case it does, I'll leave the post for anybody facing the same error with this Vista Gadget.

------------------------------------------------

First of all I would thank all of you for the posts and the reply.
I am glad that you all offered help for my problem.

As suggested on the forum I contacted HP Chat and they thought that this error was caused by Registry gave me link to a registry repair program from registryfix.com

I downloaded the program, checked for viruses and ran it.
I have been working on the notebook for over 7 hrs since then and there have been no popups. Hopefully the problem is resolved and will see what happens in the coming days.

Yes, yesterday a few important MS updates 'failed'. To resolve this I attempted to manually installed them from the MS Support website. When I ran the update it said that the updates were already installed! Funny thing! After that I tried the second one that had failed and the same result. And I then onwards I did not have the patience to continue with the same.

Again, I greatly appreciate each and everyones response for this strange runtime error.
THANKS A TON!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.