Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Running XP from USB harddisk....

Hi,

I like to run XP on a Vista machine (Acer 5720).

There are many info on installing and running XP on a USB HDD....

But...

My question is:

If I put a new, blank HDD in my laptop and install an XP on it, can it boot later as an USB HDD after I have put back the original Vista ?

Of course, instead of the multiboot option I set the boot device in the BIOS....

So ... Would that work?

Does XP install itself "remembering" that it sits on an IDE HDD or just happy to find the MBR on the boot device ?

Thanks !

Attila

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running XP from USB harddisk....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running XP from USB harddisk....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No...

In reply to: Running XP from USB harddisk....

Windows, unlike most Linux distros, is not designed to run for an external hard drive, and 99.99999% of the time it will fail. (Microsoft debated adding such functionality, but decided it was not worth the effort.) There are many who claim to have done it successfully, but it requires modification of system files (without tutorial) and just the right hardware (which no one can specify in advance) to do so. Thus, the odds are overwhelmingly against it. Also, note that OSes are not automatically detected...the first step would be to install XP while the HD is internal, then move it externally and reinsert the Vista drive, using VistaBootPRO to add the appropriate reference to XP, but due to the above it would still fail.

Sorry.
John

Collapse -
Booting XP from USB - when does it checks the internal HDD ?

In reply to: No...

Hi John, thanks for the input !

I have seen some encouraging signs, that's why I going to try, but first I going to get some more opinions.

I think, if from the BIOS settings it boots from the USB drive, it wont know about Vista on the internal HDD before the loaded XP looks around....

Collapse -
Basic process...

-> System BIOS launches the boot loader.
-> The Windows Boot Loader (Vista's) loads the list of installed operating systems from the BCD store.
-> If only Vista is detected, it loads automatically; If multiple OSes are installed it displays a list.
-> If an entry for a previous version of Windows exists and you select it, Windows Boot Loader loads NTLDR (XP's boot loader).
-> NTLDR then loads XP.

In order to attempt to run an OS from a portable disk you must either change the BIOS settings such that USB is the primary boot option or add an entry to the BCD store regarding XP's existence and location. (When you encounter failures there you'll understand why it's generally said not to work.)

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.