Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Running Win 7 on network while others use XP?

by kitch33 / November 27, 2009 11:39 AM PST

I just purchased a new Dell Studio desktop with Win 7 for my office without the IT person's advice, which annoyed him and he is now insisting that I can't run Win 7--that all computers on the network must be on the same operating system (most are using XP), and he claims all computers must have same software, and has moved people "back" to Excel 2004, etc, removing newer editions.
I can't find any evidence to support this. He claims that the server won't run properly if we use different operating systems. I think he is misguiding us. He also insists that Mozilla products are for "home users" only and won't "let us" use Firefox, which is ridiculous. I would like support for using Win 7. Any input?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running Win 7 on network while others use XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running Win 7 on network while others use XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 11:41 AM PST

I'm locking the other post.

Collapse -
WIn7 compatability with XP
by kitch33 / November 27, 2009 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Crossposted?

Sorry--I am new to this.
So is there any validity to not running Win 7 while others use XP?

Collapse -
Only from the IT support angle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 11:52 AM PST

That is, they may not be ready to support it. They may demand 7 Pro but there is little other reasons to say no other than they are not ready to support other than XP.

It's nothing technical. They may not have a 7 machine to learn how to connect shares, printers and such so they would look bad to the staff.

No need to debate with them over it.

Collapse -
by kitch33 / November 27, 2009 11:57 AM PST

Win7 is already installed. This "IT" person is an outside contractor whose contract is being "downsized" due to lack of good support and advice, one of the reasons I purchased a new PC without his advice.
I don't want a debate with him--I just want to use my new PC, but he is claiming that it will slow the network, and won't map it to the network. I just need to be able to support my case to my boss that it is OK to have on the new PC.

Collapse -
Let's see if the MSFT person replies here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: frustrated

There is no issue here. The same chaff could be stated of any other OS so it's a simple problem they may not be ready to deal with it. Or protecting their turf. It's not a technical issue EXCEPT if your network demands 7 Professional.

Collapse -
What does the boss say?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 7:42 PM PST
In reply to: frustrated

If your organisation has a contract with an outside IT firm then they are bound by what the bosses want.

Does your boss agree with your use of Windows 7?

We can't 'negotiate' with the IT people, and we do not interfere with office policy. This is a problem you must sort out yourself with the "powers that be".

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?