Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Running Spybot on XP

My friend told me that I should run Spybot SD on every user account that I have.

Thats mean I have to make all user as administrator, run spybot SD, run Immunized (after updating, if necessary) and run 'check for problem' then fix it.

If you only run from root administrator, the spyware/adware won't be remove from the other user account.

Is this true?

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running Spybot on XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running Spybot on XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What was your friend drinking? ;)

In reply to: Running Spybot on XP

Melati, never heard such a thing and do not believe it.

Happy Computing!

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
It seems that he has the reason....

In reply to: What was your friend drinking? ;)

I just went to his place and this is what see...

Spybot running, go to Tools (advance mode), click System startup .... in this windows I see a list of several HK_LM Run .... --- some of them are known adware/spyware

He run Check for problem, and surely he found a few of them, then he Fix it.

Restart the pc, run spybot again.. and go to the system startup, and the list has changed (no more known adware/spyware entry as previously listed)

Now he go to control panel and changed the other user account to administrator level.

Run spybot, look into system startup... GUESS What... the known adware/spyware are listed... then he check for problem.. fix it.. and restart...

Look again in both account (administrator and user account) .. its cleaned..

I guess I have to do it his way, to be sure...

Enjoy your weekend...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Melati, thanks for update... enjoy your weekend also!

In reply to: It seems that he has the reason....

Collapse -
I tried his way and its true...

In reply to: It seems that he has the reason....

I also see some variation on the HK_LM run list, on each users (tools, systems startup) -

But I guess this is due to different application or setting for each user.

Just a note for first installation of spybot sd... after you installed, change all users to administrator then run spybot sd and immunized on every users account, make any changes necessary (such as running Tea timer etc.) then change it back to limited account.

I hope the above note can help anyone that might need it.

Please forgive and correct me if I'm wrong...

Thank You

Collapse -
Melati, I've Never Had That Problem..As Long As...

In reply to: I tried his way and its true...

...I ran Spybot as an administrator log in. When running as an administrator, Spybot should find ALL problem files and registry entries.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Melati, I've Never Had That Problem..As Long As...

In reply to: Melati, I've Never Had That Problem..As Long As...

Thank you for your information, but from now on, I'll run spybot and/or adaware on every users account I have, because I've seen it happened..

Thanks again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.