Desktops forum

General discussion

Running out of things to replace!

by Doug / July 3, 2006 7:06 AM PDT

Windows XP - ASUS A8V - AMD 64 Athlon 3500+ - 512 DDR RAM

Usually I leave my computer on 24/7. I may turn it off and reboot once a week, just to kind of give it a chance to "refresh". Last week, after a storm, I came home and clocks and other electronic stuff without battery backup were flashing, so I knew we had lost power. My computers, on short term UPS's, were off, so I knew the power outage was more than 10 minutes. My tower computer would not turn on - my other two did.
I figured the power supply was gone, I replaced it with a new Antec True Power 2.0 430 watt. Still no go. Checked the front panel power switch with an Ohm meter, it was working fine. Even though the power LED was comming on when I turned to Antec switch on, I figured my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe must be gone. I just replaced that motherboard and precessor with a new ASUS A8V and AMD 64 Athlon 3500 +. When I turn the power supply rear switch on, the green power LED comes on, but when I push the front power switch on, nothing happens. Now I wonder if my other power supply and motherboard/processor were even bad. What am I over looking? New power supply, new motherboard/processor, front panel power switch checks good -- what else will keep the computer from turning on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running out of things to replace!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running out of things to replace!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wrong plug will do it!
by Doug / July 3, 2006 11:31 AM PDT

The A8V has a 20-pin 4-pin power supply arrangement. The Antec power supply has a nifty power plug, I guess designed for an inline 24-pin socket. My A8V had the 20-pin socket on the side and the 4-pin socket at the top. On the Antec plug, the 4-pin plug slips off the 20-pin plug so it will work on a 20-pin socket. So I slipped it off, plugged the 20-pin in its socket and the 4-pin higher up in its socket. But, as I said in my first post, the only thing that came on was the power LED on the motherboard. I felt so certain the new motherboard and processor were the fix, I had already plugged everything in - DDR memory chips, video card, TV/capture card, hard drives, floppy drive, etc., etc. So to trouble shoot, I of course reversed myself and unplugged one at a time, plugged the power supply back in and tried it - each time with the same results, till once again I was back to everything being disconnected. So I was down to checking to see if any of the pins had slipped back in the power supply socket and not making contact (been there before!). The pins were all in place but out of curiosity I got the flashlight out to check the square vs. rounder corners on the plugs and socket of the 4-pin combo. They were backwards! But before pulling it out to take it back to the store declairing they had sold me a defective p/s, I decided to wade through the mass bundle of wires that come on power supplies, now days, and there it was, another 4-pin plug with the right combination. I am up and running! Just thought I would post this FYI. Just on the off chance that out of the thousands who come to this forum, there may be another oldie like me who never ran into this 4-pin arrangement. The first computer I delt with, back in the 70's just used toggle switches for input. The first one I buit, and I do mean built (every resistor, transistor and capacitor in it) was a Heathkit that used a roll of black paper and pins to punch holes in it - a paper punch reader - for storage (its first upgrade was dual 8" floppys). But this 4-pin plug just goes to show, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Collapse -
Persistence pays ...good to hear you got it working !
by VAPCMD / July 3, 2006 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Wrong plug will do it!

Just wish PSU mfgs would make 24 pin connectors in ONE piece with a 24 to 20 pin adapter. Would have eliminated the problem you experienced.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
the 4-pin connector strikes again
by ramarc / July 4, 2006 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong plug will do it!

i setup two systems with identical cases and mobo's last fall. one was a p4-3.4ghz and the other a p4d-3.0ghz. both systems used antec power supplies.

the first one, booted up first try, no sweat. the second one took me 3 days because of that 4-pin connector. i attached the wrong plug to it (a six pin plug)! only after disassembling both pcs and swapping power supplies did i notice my error!

Collapse -
Wonder how often this happens ? As soon as I saw
by VAPCMD / July 4, 2006 9:12 AM PDT

PSU with the 20+4 plug advertised I thought to myself 'now there's a potential for errors, problems or disasters. My thought was they were 'keyed' to preclude this. Sad to hear not so.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Well......it really was keyed. Oops!
by Doug / July 9, 2006 11:22 AM PDT

In fairness to the manufacturers, they really are keyed. In my defense, all I can say is do you realize how many different shaped plugs and sockets are in a computer? Some go in easy, some not, some are large some are small, some are keyed some are not, some have latches others don't, some are color coded some are not and just because they are or are not this time, doesn't mean it won't be just the opposit with the next one you work on. In the case of this particular plug, it is small enough that the way it is keyed is so minute it doesn't really stop you from being able to ''force'' it into the socket - just felt like some of the plugs, even when they are correct that go in a little hard. I felt like ''The Hulk'' after discovering my error, but thinking back, it really had not been that hard to put the wrong plug in the socket. Hope this saves some else from this mistake.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.