General discussion

running out of space on local disk.. HELP!

I have an 80GB hard drive (C=15GB, D=65GB).The problem is I keep getting "running out of space on local disk c" every time I download something. How can I fix it so I keep the recommended 250MB open on C and new stuff automatically downloads to D drive w/out re-partitioning?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: running out of space on local disk.. HELP!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: running out of space on local disk.. HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
just a thought

when you are downloading from a link, instead of just left clicking it, right click and select: "save target as" this is going to let you select what part of your computer you would like to save to. so if you pick drive D, it will automatically default to that drive for future downloads. as far as p2p programs and such..simply change the user settings to choose a different directory for the program to save to. hope this helps out.

tom

- Collapse -

Thanks! I'll try that.

- Collapse -
Move some App's or other programs

or data from the C drive. Empty the Temp folders. They get used as temp storage when installing to either drive. You probably have the temp folders too full. Good software is supposed to remove the temp stuff after the install is complete. Most do a crappy job of it, so you can do it for them.

- Collapse -

Hi Thanks- always perform disk cleanup as recommended- but quickly fills up again, prompting the "low disk space" message again and again. There must be a way to keep the last 250MB of space on drive C open, no??

- Collapse -
Terry, Disk Maintenance

There is no "easy" way to keep the drive cleaned up. It's takes constant mainetenance and vigilence to make sure that downloaded files to the larger drive. You haven't mentioned which operating system you are using, but either way, try using the steps in the links below to help keep the C drive clean...

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

And if you've got Windows XP SP2 installed:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -

Hi Grif Great advice! I'm doing it now. Much thanks

CNET Forums

Forum Info