Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

running microphone

by pari2014 / February 21, 2014 9:35 PM PST

I have a Lenovo computer , model is : ideapad S300. There is no place to put any cable for microphone. Do you how can I use it? there is a small whole in the computer as a microphone , but I do not know how can I active it. Who can help me?
Pari

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
From what I see,
by Oldartq / February 21, 2014 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: running microphone

there is a built-in microphone, why do you want to plug one in?

Collapse -
microphone
by pari2014 / February 21, 2014 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: From what I see,

I do not know how to use it? I would like to record my voice, use Skype and .... and it is not possible by this built in microphone or I do not know how to use it. can you help me please?

Collapse -
Sorry, I am not a Skype user...
by Oldartq / February 22, 2014 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: microphone

nor do I own an s300. I am pretty sure someone will charm in and provide you with the answer. The manual not much help?

Collapse -
Answer
No step by step from me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 12:31 AM PST

But from what you write I'd try AUDACITY to record from the microphone in this laptop. Setup is not that hard but as I don't own this exact model I will write the app I'd use and won't be able to do much else.

Can I ask if your friends can help?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Mic headset/standalone mic
by pgc3 / February 22, 2014 12:44 AM PST

You SHOULD have USB ports on the unit..It is preferable to most to use a USB input set up rather than mini plug, which is what you are alluding to. You can get stand alone microphones that are USB input or, preferably get a USB headset microphone combination which is what most use. I cannot imagine that you do not have at least 2 USB ports on the unit..but this would be the way to go, USB instead of mini plug.

Collapse -
running mircrophone
by pari2014 / February 22, 2014 1:48 AM PST

Thanks for your help. I will try microphone with usb input and check it again.

Collapse -
Answer
That Laptop
by itsdigger / February 22, 2014 3:11 AM PST

has Windows 7. Go into the Control Panel and look for Realtek HD Audio Manager and that's where you'll find the controls for the built in mic.
I use the built in mic for Skype all the time, works great.

Digger

Collapse -
Running built in mic
by pari2014 / February 22, 2014 5:48 PM PST
In reply to: That Laptop

My system is win8 I found Realtek HD Audio manager, but it seems it is only for speakers. How can I configure it for built in mic for Skype?

Collapse -
Maybe
by itsdigger / February 22, 2014 7:40 PM PST
In reply to: Running built in mic

Win 8 is different than 8.1 that I have. When I open Realtek HD Audio Manager , on the top there's a picture of speakers, microphone ..... Just click on Microphone and adjust.

Digger

Collapse -
running mic
by pari2014 / February 23, 2014 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe

there is no picture for microphone in my Realtek HD Audio Manager . But I am sure that my computer has a built in mic. But I can not find any software for it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!