General discussion

Running Javascript on a WinXP PC

My PC has stopped running javascripts for the past two days and now many websites I use do not work any more. I don't think I have done anything to upset Java. What could the problem be?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Running Javascript on a WinXP PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Running Javascript on a WinXP PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sussexwolf, Try This...

First, try reinstalling the newest Java from the link below. Select the "Download Windows J2SE JRE" link that is immediately below the "J2SE v 1.4.2_07 JRE includes the JVM technology" listing:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

When that's done, please install the latest Windows Script Engine from the links below.

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

Both of the links above indicate that a "validation" is required to make the download. IT IS NOT REQUIRED although if you wish to validate, feel free to do so. If you don't want to validate, at the second page, simply select the "No, I don't want to" option and you'll be directed to the download link. Download the file to your desktop, shut down all background program, then double click on the file to install the update. Restart the computer after installing.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Java on WinXP

Installed the 2 items you suggested and one site using Java worked ok.(eBay) But only once !!

I now get a Java exception every time I try to use this site. Re-boot does not help. Is my WinXP corrupt?

- Collapse -
Hard saying but something you might ...

take a look at. In your Internet Options on the Advanced tab make sure that only one of the JAVA VMs is checked. Since you just downloaded the SUN VM uncheck the Microsoft VM--they usually play nice together but not always.

- Collapse -
Java on WinXP

Thanks for the suggestion Edward. Gave it a try but that did not make any difference either. I'm stumped. Can anyone else help please? I cannot use eBay while this fault is present.

- Collapse -
In the same Internet Options...

take a look at your SECURITY tab for what the running script options are.

See if you have eBay in a restricted zone--place it in the trusted zone.

Check that privacy settings are medium.

Try setting all zones to their default level if necessary.

Try running IEFix - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Try another browser such as Firefox - http://www.mozilla.org/

Very explicit information regarding the wording of the java exception would also be helpful because it could also be as simple as having to clear the Sun Java cache. The Sun Java Plug-in is located in the Control Panel. Double click the Java Plug-in icon to open the program, then click the Cache button at top, then click the clear button.

You might also consider simply downloading and reinstalling the original Microsoft VM and its last update, both of which can be located here:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jheroen/VM/downloads.htm (You would want File 1 and File 3 as well as reading the "Installation Tips") If you opt for this approach disable the Sun Java in your Internet Options Advanced tab.

- Collapse -
Java on WinXP

........ and suddenly it all works again ! I had not got as far as trying your latest suggestions and thought I would give eBay a try and, lo and behold, all is well. The exception message (which just said "Java exception") has gone.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll keep a note of them just in case.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It May Well Have Been A Problem With The Site !
- Collapse -
Like Griff says,...

it could have been a problem with the site or the specific page(s) or even something like you were arching your left eyebrow too high (or low) Wink

Just glad to hear all is well.

- Collapse -
javascript/window xp

I have window xp home and edition but it pretty good and diffuclty with download block and it look not good background full white with blue sentence and that yahoo, msn and aim when I click color word red then it show black font word then other chat room said red font word but that how frurstrated with color fonts no work and family work but I m try fix change my top first head of family but daughter started turn head over me so

- Collapse -
javascript/window xp

I can't quite see what you are on about or how that is supposed to help with my problem.

Perhaps you could explain ?????????????

CNET Forums

Forum Info