Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Running Disk Cleanup from Drive Properties

When I try to run Disk Cleanup from the Drive Properties, I get a pop-up... " Windows cannot locate the Disk Cleanup program. The program file may be corrupted or may have been deleted from your computer. To reinstall Disk Cleanup, run Windows Setup again."

Incidently, I can run Disk Cleanup from System Tools in Programs/Accessories.

I don't find anything in Windows Setup to reinstall the Disk Cleanup.

Any ideas about the problem and solution thereof? Thanks.

Newbie9

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running Disk Cleanup from Drive Properties
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running Disk Cleanup from Drive Properties
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All I can say is

In reply to: Running Disk Cleanup from Drive Properties

that Disk Cleanup should be located in your %SystemRoot%\System32\cleanmgr.exe,

EG if you're using Win XP it will be in Windows/System32.

If you right click the shortcut in the Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools, does it give the same directory path?

If not, then perhaps it got moved somehow, and the shortcut changed as well. Unlikely I know, but that's all I can think of.

Mark

Collapse -
Cleanmgr.exe missing from C:\windows\System32

In reply to: All I can say is

Thanks for the help. Mine is Win Me. Right clicking Disk Cleanup shortcut in Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools gives the target path as C:\Windows\Cleanmgr.exe. It is missing in C:\Windows\System32.

If someone can please render further help. Thanks.

Newbie9

Collapse -
Check the system registry

In reply to: Cleanmgr.exe missing from C:\windows\System32

for the following entry and path:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\explorer\MyComputer\CleanupPath

and ensure the address for (Default) is the "string value" of drive:\windows folder name\cleanmgr.exe /d %c.

Collapse -
Cleanup exe does not work

In reply to: All I can say is

I am having the same problem with the person that typed this below.

Running Disk Cleanup from Drive Properties
by Newbie9 - 4/19/05 6:29 PM

When I try to run Disk Cleanup from the Drive Properties, I get a pop-up... " Windows cannot locate the Disk Cleanup program. The program file may be corrupted or may have been deleted from your computer. To reinstall Disk Cleanup, run Windows Setup again."

Incidently, I can run Disk Cleanup from System Tools in Programs/Accessories.

I don't find anything in Windows Setup to reinstall the Disk Cleanup.

Any ideas about the problem and solution thereof? Thanks.

Newbie9

I don't have a back up disk for my XP. I can find the file in systems, but it also says it is missing

Collapse -
Cleanmgr.exe

Not sure about ME, but I believe that it should be in the System32 folder. It is located there in XP.
Try to copy and paste the file into the System32 folder.
See if that will solve the problem.
The only other suggestion would be to post this in the Windows ME forum, where other ME users may respond.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
I agree,

In reply to: Cleanmgr.exe

but, I would do it this way.

In Win ME the System32 folder isn't used as much as the System folder, ie. Windows/System.

I would take a copy of the file and place it in the Windows/System folder, then see if you can access it from disk properties. (You might have to reboot first).

That way, if it works, you can then replace the current shortcut in Start > Porgrams > Accessories > System Tools with a new shortcut from the file in the Windows/System folder. And then delete the copy in the Windows folder.

If it doesn't work, try as Stan says and place a copy in the Windows/System32 folder.

Other than that, I am not sure.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark & Stan,,I Don't Have A Windows ME Computer Here, But...

In reply to: I agree,

...on Windows 98, the "Cleanmgr.exe" file resides in the C\Windows folder and only that folder. I checked two different Windows 98 machines and there is only ONE location for that file and both methods of running it access the same file. In "Newbies" post HERE, Newbie indicates that it should reside in C\Windows as well. Since it runs from one access location, I'm not sure why it won't run from the other location. Although it's possible that a secondary "cleanmgr.exe" file resides in the System or System32 folders, I doubt it..Still, it's worth a try.

I'm guessing that the problem is a registry issue...Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Probably not then

In reply to: Mark & Stan,,I Don't Have A Windows ME Computer Here, But...

I must admit I didn't check my ME machine, but just assumed that as XP has it in System32 it would be in the System folder in ME.

I agree it sounds like a registry issue if it is not available in Disk Properties, but I wouldn't know where to look either.

Collapse -
People still use Win ME?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!