Computer Help forum

General discussion

running compaq recovery cd, win98, model 7478

by ohiobill / February 18, 2005 7:12 AM PST

Ran the recovery cd and it goes all the way thru the process and when I reboot it goes to the compaq window and then to the win 98 window and then repeats over and over, can't get into safe mode, sometimes says something about scanpm.exe ??? while I'm running the rec. cd the display is clear as a bell, then when it reboots and repeats the compaq and win 98 it is really snowy and eratic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: running compaq recovery cd, win98, model 7478
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: running compaq recovery cd, win98, model 7478
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SCanpm.exe Is...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 8:55 AM PST

...a McAfee file that was probably included in your Recovery CD...I suggest using the Recovery CD again...If you can get to "normal" Windows or "Safe Mode", make the following changes to remove the "bootscan" with McAfee:

Since it sounds like you are using Windows 95, 98, or ME, try this to stop the "bootscan" from occuring at start up.(If you can't load into normal Windows, start the computer into "Safe Mode" and then use the following procedures.) Click on Start-Run, type "Sysedit", then click on OK. When the System Configuration Editor loads, make sure you are looking at the "Autoexec.bat" display screen. Scroll to the lower section of the screen and you should see some McAfee lines that look like the entries below (or similar)(The Autoexec.bat file can be accessed in WinME by clicking on Start-Run, type "msconfig", then click on OK. When the System Configuration Utility loads, click on the "Autoexec.bat" tab at the top of the window):
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe C:\
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

If they are there, place your mouse cursor at the beginning of the each line and type the letters "REM" (without the quotes and leaving a single space between REM and the next letter) so the lines look like this:
REM C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe C:\
REM @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

If you find more than one set of these entries, highlight the duplicate set, then press the "Delete" key to remove the dups. After making the changes above, click on "File" in the upper left corner of the window, choose "Save". Click on "File" again, choose "Exit" to exit the window. Restart the computer and the "bootscan" won't load at start up. Its not a "required" service. McAfee's Windows version of the scanner will still load normally and AS LONG AS you do weekly System Scans, the boot sector will still get scanned.

If you must do it in DOS, you'll need to find the "Autoexec.bat" file from a command prompt, which resides directly in the "C" directory, then edit the file in DOS. (Restart in DOS, navigate to the C:\> promt, then type edit autoexec.bat, then edit the lines mentioned above. Use the "up/down arrows" to navigate to the McAfee lines. Use the "Delete" key to erase them. Use the "Alt" key to access the "File" menu and "Esc" key to jump around between the two, etc. Save the changes and Exit.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
any hardware changes?
by reefurbb / February 18, 2005 11:01 PM PST

It appears that the video is onboard and should operate in low res mode until full boot. If a video card was added.....?
Do you have F10 option at boot, to get into "setup?
Hold F8 at boot to get into safe mode option. Then what Grif said.
It appears that the bus is 66mhz or 100mhz, PC-100 ram being sold. 64mb original. Hope it isn't a stick going bad. Ram prices have been up.
Question of why restore was used. Problems previously?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?