Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Running a CD rom off another PC over the internet, how?

by liam182 / March 5, 2009 5:56 AM PST

I have no idea if the following is possible but hopefully it is...

If 2 PCs are connected to the internet can I run a cd rom on one pc from another and if so how?

Also dsoes it matter if the OS are different, XP and Vista?

Any help appreciated.

Liam
Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running a CD rom off another PC over the internet, how?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running a CD rom off another PC over the internet, how?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 6:05 AM PST

The most likely reason to do that is some game that is on the CD. Windows Networking does not provide a networked "CDROM" drive that would look and act like your local CDROM drive so any game would fail.

Since any files that were on the CDROM could be put in a network share this brings us back to it's likely some GAME CD.

Let's go with no.
Bob

Collapse -
no
by liam182 / March 5, 2009 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: I'll go with no.

its not a game its a cd rom with files on it..

Collapse -
Then share it and be done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: no
Collapse -
Ishould
by funfunfunfunfun / March 5, 2009 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: no

I can do it with pc in same house on same network. so it should work if you can communicate with the pc I think. I am having another question similar but will create a new thread.

Collapse -
Since Your Referring To Access Over The Internet...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 8:27 AM PST

Tried thinking or "Remote Desktop" or VNC? It allows a remote computer to access the computer, then use it.

I'll guess a VPN could be set up for all remote users but I'm not sure I would want either of those options, primarily because of the security issues. You're opening up your computer to outside access. I would prefer to copy the files to a shared storage site on the internet so your computer is not in danger of intrusion... Altering, adjusting, or frequently changing those files is just as easy on internet storage and it's much safer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ok
by liam182 / March 5, 2009 10:40 PM PST

The CD rom is owned by me and both pcs are owned by me so there are no copyright issues. I simply want to run a cd rom which is in the dirve of my vista pc at my home address remotely over the internet.

Do you think it can be done with remote desktop and does it matter one is vista and one is xp sp3?

Is there a step by step idiots guide as not done anything
like this before but know it must be possible..

Thank you

Collapse -
Since this CDROM is just "files"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 10:52 PM PST

Why not a file share or just carry them with you on a memory stick?

Something is not being told here.

As to remote desktop. Yes that works so try LOGMEIN and GOTOMYPC since the Microsoft solution is somewhat hard for most to setup.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?