Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Runner Error

by olmuddy / November 3, 2004 3:10 AM PST

I am getting A popup on booting my XP home edition that says "Runner Error" with a message that reads;
"Invalid Backweb Application ID 137903". Can anyone tell me what could be the problem? Thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: Runner Error
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Runner Error

This is related to a spyware problem.

Google gave me this information;

"When I log on to Windows, I get runner error "invalid backweb application, id 137903", how do i fix this?.

You have downloaded a program that contains spyware or adware. The spyware or adware has been removed but the program requires the spyware to be installed in order to run, without it you will get the Run Time error. This program runs on startup so you will have to uninstall the program that had the spyware associated with it. Run Msconfig from the Start > Run window and turn off the progam that you downloaded, or uninstall the program.

If you still cannot find the program do a search for files that contain the word Backweb".

The site I got this from is;

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/common.htm

I hope this helps.

If you need advice on spyware removal, try the Virus and Security Alerts forum on this site.

Mark

Collapse -
by olmuddy / November 3, 2004 8:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Runner Error

Mark,
Thanks alot. I will try to figure out what program is causing this problem. It sopunds like you are on target, I just got to go to work and do my part.
Thanks for your time,
Billy

Collapse -
by olmuddy / November 3, 2004 9:14 PM PST

Mark,
Hey....Thanks alot Pal, It did fix the problem. I have been working on this for 3 days. I am so grateful, and I marked the page you got the info from.
Thanks again,
Billy

Collapse -
Re: You're welcome olmuddy`
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 6:28 AM PST

Glad it's worked out for you.

Mark

Collapse -
Deleting BackWeb application
by IreneFernandez / December 28, 2004 5:02 AM PST

I found a folder for BackWeb. I have an HP computer also. If I delete this, will it interfere w/other programs? Anyone have negative results from deleting this? Thanks, Irene

Collapse -
invalid backweb application 137903
by starwhisper / April 1, 2005 11:24 AM PST

This keeps popping up on my hp also...did you find out what it is and how to get rid of it?
Thanks for any help...
Starwhisper

Collapse -
back web error
by hoenshell / January 12, 2005 11:32 PM PST

how will I know what spy ware or adware that it came from?

Collapse -
Back Web?
by IreneFernandez / January 13, 2005 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: back web error

I have an HP computer and some of the posts indicate that a lot of the major companies use this software to implement updates. Run a Google search for more info. I first noticed this when I ran a check on my Firewall. Back Web showed up as something that I should delete and when I did, that is when the error started occurring. I actually used the Accessories File and used Restore System to a date previous to the time I deleted Back Web on the Firewall. It worked....no more annoying messages! Good luck...

Collapse -
backweb error message
by John Kolberg / January 22, 2005 1:37 AM PST

I too,upon signing in,receive a backweb error box. It doesn't interfere w/operations,but I don't like to see it. I have "Spybot"&"Adaware" Any solutions?...Mr Sweeny

Collapse -
INVALID BACKWEB APPLICATION 137903
by KITTYINMYPANTS / June 25, 2005 10:59 AM PDT

HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS AND WHAT IS IT IT ALSO SAID RUNNING TIME ERROR

Collapse -
Specific Instructions for HP/Compaq Computers
by megsfolks / January 22, 2005 4:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Is the CURE worse than the PROBLEM?
by -Jeff- / February 12, 2005 12:06 AM PST

I have the same error message and reviewed HP's proposed solution on the link provided by the previous post. I have some concerns.

This CAUTION is on the instruction page:

"CAUTION: A system recovery is a non-destructive recovery, that recovers pre-installed applications, drivers, and the operating system without affecting any data files that you may have created since purchasing the PC. Some data files may be difficult to find after the system recovery, so it is recommended to back up all data files before performing a system recovery. Also, other applications you may have added will need to be reinstalled after the system recovery."

The article doesnt say what happens if you run the recovery software after you have installed XP SP2 and XP MCE 2005 like I have. Would these have to be reinstalled? That would be a lot of work! I'd rather put up with the error messages!!

The article never said if we actually needed the client software to begin with. It implies at the end of the article that if we don't reinstall it we can get updates manually from HP. But they never say how to remove the rest of the software to stop getting the error message?

Thoughts?

-Jeff-

Collapse -
Backweb removal
by snut / April 29, 2005 7:08 AM PDT

You can always disable HP updates. I don't think even one of their updates has been anything I've used, anyway. If you want to do that, it won't run at startup and therefore the error message shouldn't appear. I found this setting under Start-All Programs-PC Help & Tools-Updates from HP. It has a "disable" feature available and you can also enable it later on if you want.

Collapse -
Re Error137903
by Allan Wilson / February 19, 2005 3:13 AM PST

Its Gone Thank You Been Trying For Weeks. Ijus searched For Backweb & Olay!

Collapse -
Runner problem
by LynnePDX / May 9, 2005 4:31 PM PDT

Mark -
I followed your advice, at least went to run, but it asks if you should reload everything. Is that correct? I'm a little nervous about doing that.
Lynne

Collapse -
unable to fix Backweb application error 137903
by renav / July 20, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

I have the same problem that is being discussed and I did exactly as u asked but windows is not letting me uninstall the windows updates program which contains the backweb application I think? What do I do now???

Collapse -
backweb 137903
by jerry.burks / August 18, 2005 9:57 AM PDT

I brought up MSN search and wrote backweb and it found two so i deleted both of them and i got rid of my backweb 137903. I hope this helps you.

Collapse -
(NT) Error Message Back Web App 137903
by Pickart / March 31, 2008 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Runner Error Invalid backweb application ID 137903
by Linda Harwick / November 24, 2004 8:51 PM PST

I have a hp computer and Windows XP I keep getting the message Runner Error Invalid backweb application ID 137903 I don't know what it means and how to get rid of it.

Collapse -
Re: Runner Error Invalid backweb application ID 137903
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2004 9:26 PM PST

?

Linda

Did you read the posts above?

Mark

Collapse -
solution?
by janicemnc / December 26, 2004 1:55 AM PST

i am getting the same error. did you get a solution?
thank you,
janice

Collapse -
by donald warner / December 5, 2004 9:14 PM PST

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much on solving the same above problem on my computer. It was greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Don Warner

Collapse -
backweb
by trancndental / March 4, 2005 12:26 AM PST

Have you found an answer on how to remove this. I am having the same problem Barbara

Collapse -
Error Runner
by bulldog62 / March 6, 2005 4:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Try http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective
by magginations / March 7, 2005 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Error Runner

Thank you Bulldog. Will try it. I tried some of the other suggestions but they didn't work. Hope this one does.

Collapse -
runner error?
by LynnePDX / May 9, 2005 4:39 PM PDT

Did you find that that helped? I'm a little put off by the warning indicating that I could ruin my computer Happy

Collapse -
Invalid Backweb Application id# 137903
by Mike11111 / April 25, 2005 5:28 AM PDT

Can anyone tell me the solution to getting rid of this problem?

Collapse -
Invalid Backweb Application id# 137903 - One Solution
by trkabuzz / May 14, 2005 8:46 AM PDT

Started getting the same dialog box when I booted up my HP PC. If you're like me and you use SpyBot and it removed the component, the following got rid of it for me.

Right click on the SpyBot icon in the system tray and select Run SpyBot S&D.

Click the Recovery button.

Select BackWeb Lite (that was the name on my PC)

Select Recover selected items.

That's all it took for me to get rid of the dialog. Just make sure the next time you do an S&D with SpyBot, don't let it delete the BackWeb item. It doesn't seem to realize it is the HP Updates utility.

Collapse -
invalid back web application id 137903
by bweavr / May 16, 2005 12:31 AM PDT

how do i fix?

Collapse -
runner error 137903
by ForHim44001 / May 15, 2005 10:47 PM PDT

I have found many 'backweb' files; two of which have 2380 KB of space, is it safe to delete all of them? Some of them are GIF images. I'm really nervous about deleting/ uninstalling them without knowing for sure. I tried to copy/ paste them all so you could see them all, but I couldn't. I have backweb.dll; HP-backweb 180X250; backweb client; backweb client (2); backweb; backweb (2); backweb 137903; backweb.dll tobedeleted; protectdataloss 180X50 April....; These are the ones that showed up when I 'searched' for backweb. I am running windows XP. I have a HP pavilion a250n. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!