General discussion

RUNDLL

by twinran1 / October 7, 2004 2:22 AM PDT

Each time I start up the computer I get an error message that says:

RUNDLL
Error Loading
C:\Progra~1\WILDTA~1\APPS\CDA\CDAENG~1DLL
The System cannot find the path specified

I believe it has to do with a program/file (Wildtangent) that I deleted because my virus protection said that it was a threat and couldn't be fixed.
Does anyone know how I can repair this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RUNDLL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RUNDLL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: RUNDLL... remove with STARTER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: RUNDLL
Collapse -
by twinran1 / October 7, 2004 3:33 AM PDT

Bob,

Thank you for your help,
Sherri

Collapse -
by thomas999 / October 13, 2004 5:56 PM PDT

I have the same problem with C:\Progra~1\WILDTA~1\APPS\CDA\CDAENG~1DLL

but I didn't at all understand the answer to the other person's question.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a "more simple" answer on how to get rid of that thing?

Thanks!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2004 9:44 PM PDT

"I have the same problem with C:\Progra~1\WILDTA~1\APPS\CDA\CDAENG~1DLL

but I didn't at all understand the answer to the other person's question.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a "more simple" answer on how to get rid of that thing?"

In paragraph 4b, look up STARTER.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=34232&messageID=394890&tag=

If you read the section, install the STARTER software, you may understand what to do next. Hint: use STARTER to delete the entry.

Best of luck,

Bob"

Collapse -
Re: RUNDLL
by Echo2 / October 22, 2004 12:29 PM PDT

Dear Sherri:

SpyBot is your answer here I think. SpyBot identifies Wild Tangent as spyware and removes it.I had Wild Tangent on my system not knowing that it was spyware. The Wild Tangent program had come installed on my new HP.
I downloaded and ran SpyBot and was surprised to see it appear on the detected items screen. I had no use for it so I allowed SpyBot to remove it and I haven't had a problem since.

Collapse -
by flcenter / December 13, 2004 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re: RUNDLL

SpyBot's (or a similar program's) removal of the WildTangent application is what caused the rundll error in the first place. You need to remove the process from your startup in order to terminate the error message.

Collapse -
same problem
by agardengirl2 / January 12, 2005 6:12 AM PST

how do you remove the process from your start up order to terminate the rundll error. thanks

Collapse -
agardengirl2...
by Echo2 / January 12, 2005 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: same problem

You can remove this program from your startup by going into msconfig and unchecking the box(if it is there) beside its name. To go into msconfig go to Start>Run, type in msconfig click OK. Now go to the "startup" tab and scroll down until you see the program you wish to terminate.Uncheck the box beside it and close out of msconfig. Restart your computer.
You can also go into regedit and delete it from the Run section of Windows in the Microsoft section of HKey Local Machine and HKey Current User.

Regards,

Collapse -
I forgot....
by Echo2 / January 12, 2005 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: agardengirl2...

Many security programs have startup monitors that will allow you to eliminate this startup entry without too much trouble. The ones that come to mind are SpyBot, Spy Sweeper and Microsoft AntiSpyware. Mind you, they are more likely to eliminate this file from your system altogether.

Best,

Collapse -
Are you sure it was...
by Echo2 / January 12, 2005 8:38 AM PST

SpyBot's removal of the program that has caused the problem flcenter? I had SpyBot remove it for me without a hitch. My PC booted and rebooted smoothly after SpyBot removed Wild Tangent from my PC.
It could, however, be that another program's removal of Wild Tangent (as you say) is the issue here.

Best,

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 22, 2004 12:42 PM PDT

Hi Sherri:

It's me again. I for got to mention how important it is to get this stuff out of the registry. In addition to running SpyBot (which I think will do the job), you can go to Start click Run type regedit. Go to the top of Regedit you'll see Edit. Click on edit then click on Find. Type Wild Tangent and remove every entry you find. The process can be a little tedious. If you want, if you can afford it, try Registry First Aid. It is only $21.85 or thereabouts. It has an especially useful feature which allows you to type in a particular entry, in this case Wild Tangent, and then search for all the entries specified. In a couple of minutes it will be done, and you will then have the option of deleting all those entries.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?