Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Android forum

Question

Run Tracking Fitness App Recomendation

by matthanrahan / February 21, 2015 2:01 AM PST

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a fitness app to track running, but there's one small but important feature I'm looking for.

First, I have an Android smartphone, so I'd like it to be compatible.

Second, and most importantly, I'd like the recorded routes, as in the route saved after you just ran to be editable.

On any app I've used, after I run I look at the map and my route clearly shows me running over houses, in the middle of the street, and even walking on water. I know the GPS is at fault, which is fine, but I want to be able to correct the route after the fact so I can get a more accurate idea of my pace and lap times.

Any recommendations of apps with this specific feature would be appreciate!

Thanks,
Matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Run Tracking Fitness App Recomendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Run Tracking Fitness App Recomendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not possible. Here's an example why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 3:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Found my old image from a GPS tracker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 4:44 AM PST
http://i.imgur.com/Q8QhKjz.png?1

That's 165 minutes showing a stationary car parked at the airport. The interference and what else? shows that you can't rely on GPS for this sort of work. It's good stuff, but you gotta know its limits.
Bob
Collapse -
Let me clarify
by matthanrahan / February 21, 2015 2:44 PM PST

All,

Thank you for the feedback so far.

I do understand GPS is imperfect, I'm not asking for it to be.

I'm asking to be able to correct the imperfections on the map of my route after the fact.
As stated: " I want to be able to correct the route after the fact so I can get a more accurate idea of my pace and lap times." and "I'd like the recorded routes, as in the route saved after you just ran to be editable."

The idea is, I know I was running on a sidewalk, not through someone's living room, so after running I want to review the route on a map, click and drag the route to the correct position, on the map.
It should be simple to recalculate the pace and distance in an app after the route has been corrected.

Doesn't seem over complicated programmatically.

Has anyone used an app that has this feature?

Thanks,
Matt

Collapse -
my sister uses such
by James Denison / February 21, 2015 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: Let me clarify

for her bike rides. You could try some of the bike clubs to see what they use. I'll see if I can find out what she uses.

Collapse -
I remembered
by James Denison / February 21, 2015 3:18 PM PST
In reply to: my sister uses such

she sent me times and routes before, checked old emails. She was using "runkeeper" but switched and stayed with "mapmyrun".

Collapse -
forum suggestion
by matthanrahan / February 22, 2015 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: I remembered

Thanks for the tips, I think I've tried map my run, but don't think it had the feature I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a better suggestion of what forum to post this question in?

I put it in this Android forum because I didn't know where else to put it.

Seems like there should be a general "Smartphone App" forum or such, but I did not see one.

Anyway, thank you for the ideas.

Collapse -
HOW TO EDIT THE DATA?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2015 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: forum suggestion
Collapse -
Answer
She depended on GPS
by James Denison / February 21, 2015 3:40 AM PST
Collapse -
That's a mile of variance
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: She depended on GPS

""Unfortunately, a lot of the coordinates that we received over the night were all over the place within a mile circumference," Lt. Jim Goss of the state's Fish and Game Department told WMUR-TV." (from article.)

I have a picture from the Vancouver Airport and the location bounces around a lot in the taxi, bus and pickup areas. To the point it's only good for about a few block (1 kilometer?) area. Yes, most of the time it's better but due to so many reasons it's something you know not to risk your life on.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Possible solution
by matthanrahan / September 1, 2015 2:32 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!