Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Run Time Errors on regular XP

by thetickfan / February 16, 2004 5:22 AM PST

I, also, have been getting a C++ Run Time Error pop-up window that states the application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Clicking on either the okay button or the x on this pop-up terminates IE, and I have to relaunch. After reading moderator Proffitt's suggestion,

"How to disable script and runtime errors

You can configure Internet Explorer to ignore these script and runtime errors. Please follow this step-by-step guide:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click on Tools, then on Internet Options.

3. Click on the Advanced tab.

4. Look for the "Disable script debugging" line and put a check mark in the box.

5. Now look for the "Display a notification about every script error" line and remove the check mark in the box."

I found that the disable script debugging box was already checked, and the display notification box was already unchecked. Is there anything else I can do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Run Time Errors on regular XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Run Time Errors on regular XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Run Time Errors on regular XP or C++ run-time errors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 5:38 AM PST

Now that you have revealed that you are not having the common IE Script errors, you can ignore my prior reply.

What I usually find in such a plea is that a PEST or PARASITE has found a home on the machine. The usual five scans noted at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 is what I do next.

But before that, I would check the EVENT VIEWER for what its reporting and then run to http://www.eventid.net if you can't share the EventID and such here.

Bob

PS. CWSHREDDER is at a new web site and if you decide to keep a pest, be sure to inform the forum.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Run Time Errors on regular XP or C++ run-time errors.
by thetickfan / February 19, 2004 4:00 AM PST

Geetings,
Thanks for the info in response to my problem. You said it was more than likely a parasite, and gave me five sites to download anti-spyware/adware, while advising me to check the event viewer first. I did that, but not being all that computer savvy, I didn,t know what, exactly, I was looking for. So, I downloaded Ad-aware, and although I read the instructions and tried to be careful, everything that was quarantined caused a loss of internet connection that resulted in the C++ RunTime Error just trying to launch IE. So, I went back to the event viewer and finally recognized what I was looking at. I found Event ID: 2, and Source: ccPwdSvc. When I entered this information at EventID.Net, I found the following,
"Event ID: 1
Source ccPwdSvc
Type Information
Description Application started
Comments Adrian Grigorof (Last update 9/16/2003):
From newsgroup posts: "ccPwdSvc is the Symantec Password Validation Service. If I let it run, it continually crashes Explorer on my XP SP 1 box. If I rename it, my system runs flawlessly."
Now, since I have Norton Internet Security, this seems like a possible explanation for my problem, but it also raises questions. Since I have had Norton,s running for over a year, why would this be a recent problem? And, how the heck do I access the password validation service? There was no help to be found, that I could see, in the help section.

Collapse -
AHA! Two things and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2004 4:22 AM PST

1. You didn't reveal you have the Norton software. Recent versions don't appear to be stable. I have NO CURE for this except to note I just uninstall it, rip it out of the registry and install replacements such as...

a. Free AVG from www.grisoft.com
b. Zonelab's ZoneAlarm.

2. The loss of internet connection is a GREAT CLUE! A pest may have installed a Layered Service Provider to call home on. Such are usually unstable and will not be found with Symantec products since "It's not a virus." - Quote from a Symantec rep I pinned to the wall at a tradeshow.

a. Go get LSPFIX with the help of http://www.google.com
b. Now eject the pests and fix the LSP withe LSPFIX.

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?