HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Run, Run, Run, Run, Run ...makes you a better manager?

by GL2filmer / May 2, 2006 9:51 PM PDT

Hey Veronica, I thought you'd enjoy this podcast from Wired Magazine. Someone did a study to prove that gamers may make better managers because of the skills they learn in dealing with changing situations. The podcast specifically mentioned World of Warcraft, so I naturally thought of you (and Molly's "missing" little brother).

http://audio.cbsnews.com/2006/04/17/audio1502306.mp3

Keep up the great 'casting. (Can I shorten podcasting to 'casting? I think I just did.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Run, Run, Run, Run, Run ...makes you a better manager?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Run, Run, Run, Run, Run ...makes you a better manager?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yup
Collapse -
What's the deal with Run, run, run. run?!
by cars4less201 / May 27, 2006 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: yup

Ok, I don't really know this one and I'd be way happy if someone could answer for me. Why everytime you guys comment o WoW you say "Run, run, run, run"?!

What's the meaning of it?! It's like a marathon going on?! Is your Orc a triathlete? Please, explain it to me.

PS. I have never played WoW. Happy

Collapse -
Well....
by wizardjs / May 28, 2006 3:59 AM PDT

If you ever play Wow, you will learn that there is a lot of running involved

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hum. Pretty much like soccer I guess... :P
by cars4less201 / May 28, 2006 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....
Collapse -
(NT) (NT)I thing the "a lot of running involved" is a good answer
by cars4less201 / May 30, 2006 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....
Collapse -
run, run, run, makes you level
by MacHugger / May 29, 2006 5:58 PM PDT

It's the single biggest motivator to push you to level 40. Then you get a mount (horse, cat, whatever) and run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run becomes gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop and a third.

Level 60 brings you down to gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop, gallop.

If I did my math right...

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
and this is fun?
by alpabarot / May 29, 2006 11:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
not turn-based
by Veronica Belmont / May 30, 2006 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: and this is fun?

it's real time, unlike something like a RPG like FFX, which is turn-based.

Collapse -
ok
by Veronica Belmont / May 30, 2006 6:54 AM PDT

and where exactly are you getting "turn-based" out of that clip?

and yes, i'm a total dud. clearly!

Collapse -
Oh no...
by cars4less201 / May 30, 2006 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

Now they gonna create a topic called:

Veronica the Foxy Dude... Plain

Collapse -
oh man
by Veronica Belmont / May 30, 2006 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh no...

not DUDE, DUD!

Collapse -
My bad...
by cars4less201 / May 30, 2006 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: oh man

See... That's what you get for not having english as a first language... Sorry V, my bad.

Ok, now What's DUD?

Google told me this, but I don't get it... Sad
1. A bomb, shell, or explosive round that fails to detonate.
2. Informal One that is disappointingly ineffective or unsuccessful.
3. duds Informal
a. Clothing.
b. Personal belongings.

Collapse -
Item 2 on the list
by MacHugger / May 30, 2006 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: My bad...

>> Ok, now What's DUD?

>> Google told me this, but I don't get it...
>> 1. A bomb, shell, or explosive round that fails to detonate.
>> 2. Informal - One that is disappointingly ineffective or unsuccessful.
----------------------

Item 2 is the definition they intended but that likely originates from Item 1 on the list. Just like a bomb or stick of dynamite that fails to detonate (a dud) it sort of means, you might be full of potential but ultimately you are lazy or do nothing worthwhile.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by cars4less201 / May 30, 2006 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Item 2 on the list

Thanks for the explanation Kevin...

Hum... You can call me old-fashioned but now that I know the meaning I think maybe it's not polite to call someone that...

Collapse -
I didn't get turn based out of that clip
by alpabarot / May 30, 2006 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

I submitted the clip so others could see what the game is like from game play footage.

Sorry Dud Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you are!
by Veronica Belmont / May 31, 2006 6:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT)C'mon V don't get into that, it's silly. You rules!
by cars4less201 / May 31, 2006 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) you are!
Collapse -
?
by alpabarot / May 31, 2006 11:43 AM PDT

Doesn't Happy indicate I'm joking when I say sorry dud? If so I'm sorry, it wasn't meant to be serious or offensive.

Collapse -
let me add...
by alpabarot / May 31, 2006 11:48 AM PDT

I had never seen WoW in action and was curious.

Collapse -
Gawd
by Dirty Pirate / May 30, 2006 3:01 PM PDT

Sheesh... that guy should take the red pill and put himself back into the matrix

Collapse -
I know... how long did you last watching it?
by alpabarot / May 30, 2006 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Gawd

I pulled the parachute after about 15 seconds.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)OMG, You can mount a cat? Tha'ts awsome!
by cars4less201 / May 29, 2006 11:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Will someone give an honest answer to this?
by cardsbb9 / May 30, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

Those of us who do not play want to know.

Really, what is the meaning of 'run ,run ,run ,run ,run' ??

Don't be coy.

Collapse -
that's it
by Veronica Belmont / May 30, 2006 3:03 AM PDT

we're not being coy. you run a lot. there was a text-based version of wow that someone made as a joke, and the whole thing just said:

You run. Then you run some more.
Run, run, run, run.
You kill an ogre.
Then you run to the next town.
Run
Run
Run

Kind of like that. it was a funny thing for people who play wow and know that all you frickin' do is run everywhere.

Collapse -
It's a vast world
by MacHugger / May 30, 2006 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: that's it

Sometimes you (maybe just ''I'') honestly catch yourself looking around at the vastness of the realm they have created in the World of Warcraft.

We joke a lot about running, but you truly have hundreds of square (game) miles to run around in. Yes, I'm quite sure that the world was originally created in broad brush strokes where the designer elevated the terrain here, pushed it down there and threw in a castle, boulder or cave. But then when people started playing and running around in the world, they had to massage every square foot of it. Otherwise, players could ''cheat'' to hop into areas they'd normally have to work to get into or get ''stuck'' between a tree and a mountain. Such places still existed in the beta. It really is VAST and it is amazing.

Yes, we do a lot of running around but sometimes in game, it's nice to stop and smell the roses and just take in how beautifully and richly crafted the realm really is.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
So, then the question becomes....
by cardsbb9 / May 30, 2006 3:19 AM PDT

Why is that fun?

I mean... if I had to play on-line poker (with fake money) by having a hand and then typing

earn, earn, earn, earn, earn, earn, earn

in order to get enough money to play the next hand..... That would be very boring.

Collapse -
The running ISN'T fun. That's the point.
by MacHugger / May 30, 2006 4:04 AM PDT

The running is awful. Nobody likes it. Like I said, it's one of the single biggest motivators to get to level 40 so you have a mount and can get around faster. And level 60 permits an Epic Mount so you get there twice as fast.

Just like in real life, it's usually the destination we are interested in. Yes, sometimes the journey can be fun but I know on my ride to and from work everyday, if I could hop in a transporter and be there in a nanosecond, d*mn straight I'd do it.

The fighting, the questing, the auctioning, the new skills and powers and weapons and pets and all the things you work towards are what make it fun to play. With leveling comes power and skill and that is the goal. Some people get all the way to the "end" and get bored. So they roll a new character or quit. Others continue to play. When the expansion comes out and the new level cap is 70, those high level characters will be pulled out, dusted off and sent into battle again.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, nor should it be. And I'm glad it isn't.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Blizzard could sell add-ons to the games
by cars4less201 / May 30, 2006 3:25 AM PDT

They could start selling some stuff let's say for 2.50 bucks.

Maybe a teleporter, a Orc Segway or even better Armor for your horse!!! Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) manage manage manage manage......
by wizardjs / May 3, 2006 8:06 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.