Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Run games better

by GUERILLA13 / January 20, 2006 8:59 AM PST

I wanna run HL2 and doom3 better. I have a laptop with a2.4 ghz pentium4, 512mb RAM, 80 Gb hard drive and a Radeon mobility 7500. I takes forever to load these games and they hang up. all graphic qualities set to low. what would help. Increase RAM? Bigger faster hard drive? external HD to store games and apps freeing more space on the laptop HD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Run games better
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Run games better
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Graphics card
by nathanpsz2 / February 5, 2006 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: Run games better

Get a new graphics card. Try a Radeon 9600.

Collapse -
Laptop, change graphics card??
by bill.timmins / February 9, 2006 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: Graphics card

Not usually possible, I think.....

Collapse -
Some newer, high end models can change vid cards
by ackmondual / February 14, 2006 12:07 AM PST

Most of them can't. I'm guessing a laptop of unknown model but a Mobility Radeon 7500 is kinda old for that.

Collapse -
laptop graphics cards
by Carguy172 / February 11, 2006 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: Graphics card

you cant get a new graphics card for your laptop

Collapse -
A bit more RAM
by nathanpsz2 / February 6, 2006 3:53 AM PST

HL2 and Doom 3 are demanding games. These days, 512 MB of RAM is pretty much the minimum to run Windows XP. For some games, there will be better performance if you have 1GB of RAM. Oh yeah; what's your price range for a graphics card?

Collapse -
Multiple things to help games run on a laptop
by nschaefer308 / February 10, 2006 12:19 AM PST

I personally do not like to use laptops for games but I understand the need for it. My brother uses one.
Depending on the brand of the laptop you can upgrade the video card (surprise!). If that is the situation then that can dramatically improve the gaming experience.
512mb memory is standard for most laptops but in case you cannot upgrade the video then I would definitely upgrade to at least 1gb of RAM. Once that has been done then check your BIOS, you can probably open the AGP aperture to 128 or 256mb and possibly dedicate more RAM to the video. (If yours is set to 64mb you will never get the enjoyment out of the games that you want.)
Laptops are notorious for being memory hogs. Check the windows tray (lower right corner of the screen next to the time). If you have a lot of icons in the corner then it is time to do some housecleaning. Many Anti spyware programs take up resident memory. Only you can decide which ones to take out of resident moemory. Since we don't know what OS you are using...
I really don't think that you need to get a new hard drive since you already of an 80gb but I would strongly recommend doing some maintenance on it. Delete all of the *.tmp files on the system, uninstall any programs that you have not used in the last 9 months. Perform a disk defragmentation on the drive. I believe that you can download a registry cleaner from MS so that it can remove any dead links.
If your system is still in its original configuration from when you bought it then you may want to clear your swap file (virtual memory) and may want to increase it.
Additional memory I would say is a must though!

Collapse -
Cleaning up hard drive
by gtelliott88 / February 12, 2006 12:05 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?