Computer Help forum

General discussion

Run DLL Error

by dixie94 / March 1, 2011 1:18 AM PST

Hi,
I have a Sony Vaio. Recently, I removed some programs in an effort to free up more space on the C drive. There is a C and D drive on the computer, but almost nothing is on the D drive.
Since that time, I have had an DLL error:

Error loading
C:\Users\Mom\AppData\Local\Temp\attrhone.dll
C:\Users\Mom\AppData\Local\Temp\attrhone.dll is not a valid Win32 application.

I have tried to find this folder but it does not exist.

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Run DLL Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Run DLL Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When does this error come up?
by Chimlim / March 1, 2011 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Run DLL Error

If this error comes up when you first sign on, see if you can disable that file from startup. Click Start > Run > Type "MSCONFIG" ... Click the startup tab and look for a program that is using attrhon.dll or something similiar. Also, check your services and see if anything related to that program is running. Can you just delete that file?

Collapse -
Also..
by Chimlim / March 1, 2011 4:33 AM PST

That might be a hidden folder.. Open up Windows Explorer and physically type in "C:\Users\Mom\AppData\Local\Temp" in the address bar and see if it comes up

Collapse -
Spyware
by Jevez / March 1, 2011 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Also..
Collapse -
Thank you for the replies
by dixie94 / March 1, 2011 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware

Chimlim, it does happen upon start up.
I have Windows Vista, and I do not see the Run option when I click Start. I am familiar with it but not sure where to find it using Vista.
I did a search and the folder did not come up.

Jevez, I do have a virus program so I'm a little hesitant to install another one, unless it's somehow different. I have AVG Anti-Virus, recommended by CNET. Is there a way my current program can locate the dll?

Thank you.

Collapse -
Spyware
by Jevez / March 1, 2011 4:41 PM PST

AVG has an antispyware option but might not find the spyware, try scannning your pc with your AVG?
If it doesn't find one, it's safe to install both...

Collapse -
Vista might be different..
by Chimlim / March 1, 2011 9:08 PM PST

Click on Start - and there should be a search box, in the search box type in "MSCONFIG" press Enter. Then select the startup tab and see if that file is selected for startup, if it is unselect it and click Apply.

But since it is spyware you may want to download malware bytes, super anti-spyware, or spybot. (You can even try all 3) They are free to use. Also, I recommend downloading CC Cleaner. This will clean out any affected registry entries that program may have made, that is also a free program. You can't have too many spyware removing programs, especially if they are free. The spyware programs I listed work fine with anti-virus programs, in fact I use them all the time in combination with my anti-virus software.

Collapse -
Re: spyware
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 9:19 PM PST

Using a program like ccleaner (free download) to clean temp folders (like the one you mention: C:\Users\Mom\AppData\Local\Temp\) wouldn't be a bad idea either. Although surely not the only measure to take.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you!
by dixie94 / March 4, 2011 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: spyware

I found the entry in the startup tab and deleted it. I also downloaded superantispyware and ccleaner and ran them both. Both programs found a lot that needed to be deleted/fixed, one of which was the file above.

Thank you for all the help,
Amy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.