Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Run Commands

by rreger / July 7, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

I am looking for a complete list of all Utilities in XP accessed from the "Run" dialog box in start menu, eg; "msconfig",scanreg", etc. Thanks for all your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Run Commands
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Run Commands
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Run Commands
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2004 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Run Commands

I found such in the XP Resource Kit at the bookstore. It's copyrighted material, but you may want to see if that's your answer.

Collapse -
by Yew / July 7, 2004 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Run Commands

There are no "commands" for Run. What those "commands" are, are programs that are in your PATH. The PATH being a set of folders your computer automatically looks in for programs that might match the "command" you entered in.

If you poke around in the Windows folder, you will find all the programs you mention. msconfig, scanreg, regedit, etc.

In time, you might pick up how to edit your PATH variable to include other folders with programs you might frequently use.

Collapse -
by terry1930 / July 7, 2004 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Run Commands

I don't have XP, but on my Win98 you can go to Start, select Help, and under the index type 'run' and it will take you to a suprisingly (for Microsoft) helpful explanation of the run command with examples.

I doubt if they have changed that section of the help menu for your XP. Its worth a try.

Collapse -
Re: PATH or not
by ChuckT / July 7, 2004 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Run Commands

The PATH is only used when you don't explicitly spell out the direct way to the program you are wanting to run.

That is, if you enter "msconfig" in the Run window then the PATH locations are checked to see if a file or program is located in any of those locations specified in your PATH.

If you want to run, or use, some program or file that is not in your PATH, then all you need to do is type in the explicit full path name of that program or file. Such as, if I wanted to run some program called "xyz" that is in my C:\batches\wherever directory, all I need to enter is:

Note: it doesn't hurt to include the exe, but it really isn't needed for programs.

Where adding the extension is required, though, is where the file you want to run is not a program (or maybe a batch file).
For example, if you wanted to open a text file with the Run command, and since .TXT files are normally associated with NotePad, then just entering in the fully qualified path and filename, like:
would open that file with notepad.

AND even IF a file isn't associated with a particular tool you want to use to open the file with, you could still specify that in the Run window, too.

Try this, assuming that you do have a "oeminfo.ini" file (and about half of you do, ask me, in another discussion, why it is handy!)

Enter, in the Run window (there's another assumption here, that you have a recent version of Windows, that has a variable called systemroot):

(Otherwise, you could substitute the "%systemroot%" with your own specific path to your Windows installed directory.)

If Notepad is associated with .INI files then Notepad will be used to open that file (or whatever association you do have).

If nothing is associated with the .INI file type then you will need to use this Run command:
notepad %systemroot%\system32\oeminfo.ini

Yes, the Run window can be very handy.
Another "trick" it can be used for is as a "drag and drop" window to get the fully-qualified path and filename of any file. To do so, just open up a Run windows, and clear it out. Then use an Explorer window to drag and drop any selected file right into the blank field.
What you will see is the full path and filename of that file. It will include any quote (") characters if needed for paths that require them (such as if there is a space in there somewhere).
Anyway, that created entry can then be copied (Ctrl-C) and pasted (Ctrl-V) into something else where you needed to type out a full path and you didn't want any mistakes. Pretty cool.

Have fun!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?