Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

run a program from a site

by Holanda / March 15, 2008 5:05 AM PDT

I have a site on the net and I want to run a program on my computer linking a link on my site. In other words,Is there a way to click on a link on a site and a program(already installed on my pc) runs?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: run a program from a site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: run a program from a site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you tell why you want it.
by Kees Bakker / March 15, 2008 6:39 AM PDT

It's a rather uncommon requirement.

Kees

Collapse -
want to continue have sex
by Holanda / March 15, 2008 9:49 AM PDT

Yes , It is. The problem is that my wife, who is a newbie in pc, is bothering me with questions like "How do I run that program?" "What's a shortcut?" "Why can't you help me now? " "I've found out that you've got no patience at all!"

So I'm going to build a site where she can have all links like yahoo, gmail and hotmail and also shortcuts to run programs already installed on her machine. That's why I'm asking for help.
Maybe a javascript could work. I dont know.

Any help would be great.

Collapse -
Re: shortcuts
by Kees Bakker / March 16, 2008 4:39 AM PDT

You can do that perfectly well locally. Three ways:
1. Start>Programs is a logical (and easy to organize) way to have shortcuts bot to running programs and to url's.
2. Put the shortcuts and links on her desktop, either directly or in folders.
3. Make a local html-page with all the links you know think to put on a website. Then make that the homepage in her browser. There's no need at all to put it on a server with your ISP.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
ok
by Holanda / March 20, 2008 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: shortcuts

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
depends on your browser
by zoredache / March 26, 2008 5:57 PM PDT

If you are using IE, and you add the site to your 'local computer' security zone, then yes it can launch applications on your computer. Be warned, if your site is compromised in any way very bad things can happen.

Collapse -
CGI
by RobertBrown30 / May 17, 2008 12:25 AM PDT

A more secure way would be to use a CGI script on a password protected domain - make the script run any commands when you click the links. The CGI could be Perl, PHP or Python (my preferred). You will probably need to have your home PC running as a server though, which may be a pain. Have you tried Remote Desktop? Its pretty good, and maybe quicker and more flexible if you put shortcuts on the desktop.

Collapse -
This might be more difficult
by Dango517 / May 26, 2008 4:14 PM PDT

then dealing with your wife. Grin

You might consider using note pad to create a "helpful links" page for her then possibly do some scripting to task manager to run the programs you want in the OS.

The security issue raised here should be seriously considered.

There might also be some restriction implied by the web host that will keep you from doing this. In effect you'll be networking with them.

This thread is untracked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?