Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Rubin says time to raise taxes!

by EdH / November 9, 2006 11:24 PM PST

That didn't take long. Here's a question; when has Rubin ever NOT thought it was time to raise taxes?

LINK

Bend over, America.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rubin says time to raise taxes!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rubin says time to raise taxes!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Will the mainstream media ...
by Evie / November 9, 2006 11:33 PM PST

... FINALLY tell the truth about the economy?

Tax revenues have INCREASED. The percent paid by the "rich" has INCREASED as a result of the rate cuts. We need to cut spending -- isn't that what the Democrats campaigned on? LOL

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Mainstream media? Truth?
by EdH / November 9, 2006 11:37 PM PST

What are you smoking/drinking/injecting?

Collapse -
What are you smoking/drinking/injecting?
by duckman / November 9, 2006 11:38 PM PST

Why?? What do you have?? Just what IS Togo doing in the woods?

Collapse -
For 6 years we heard the
by duckman / November 9, 2006 11:37 PM PST

squealing of the Left that Bush (and the REPUBLICAN controled congress) were spending our children's, grand children's gg great grandchildren's futures away, and so let's see how fast THEY cut spending. Tax increases WILL NOT reduce the deficit

Collapse -
Higher taxes may not increase tax revenue, but they will
by Kiddpeat / November 10, 2006 11:18 AM PST

cause higher spending. The Democrats will spend the expected money faster than you can say 'higher taxes'.

Collapse -
It is good to see someone mention...
by grimgraphix / November 10, 2006 2:44 AM PST

the need for cutting spending!

Everyone seems to forget the deficit more than doubled over the past 6 years. We all (both sides) had a part in it.

The thing that scares me though? I was listening to NPR cover opinion in China over the US mid-term elections. First... many people there didn't know we were having elections. Second... one man on the street said whatever government was in power in the US could not effect China, since that country held so much of the US debt, it created leverage in favor of China concerning trade issues.

Collapse -
Actually, we have more power over China
by duckman / November 10, 2006 2:54 AM PST

At any time, we can just say ?Forget it, we aren?t paying? But I am glad to see that you agree that spending is the issue, not raising taxes. Please make sure you pass that on to the new leadership.

Collapse -
chuckle...
by grimgraphix / November 10, 2006 3:28 AM PST

Your voice is as loud as mine DM.... But I will write my congressional reps anyway.

Wink

Collapse -
We could if we
by Dan McC / November 10, 2006 5:49 AM PST

wanted the dollar to collapse and the economy to crumble.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) attention: walmart shoppers
by WOODS-HICK / November 10, 2006 10:43 AM PST
Collapse -
I feel like singing...
by J. Vega / November 11, 2006 5:12 AM PST

I feel like singing. You, and your shadows... (grin)

Collapse -
Re: Shadows
by JP Bill / November 11, 2006 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: I feel like singing...

If you don't have a shadow

You ARE a shadow?

Collapse -
Deficit has been on the way down for a while now
by Evie / November 10, 2006 8:19 AM PST

Ahead of schedule.

Cutting spending is the key for the future. Tax hikes certainly are not. The notion that tax cuts have reduce tax REVENUES is a LIE.

Collapse -
(NT) 'Strooth
by EdH / November 10, 2006 8:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Another warning about "lie" Evie.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 11, 2006 5:51 AM PST

But this time I choose to respond to your distortion of the truth with facts, from a bipartisan analysis by the Congressional Budget Office (the most recent on the topic -- as elections approach they stop addressing this particular topic)

CBO Data Show Tax Cuts Have Played Much Larger Role Than Domestic Spending Increases in Fueling The Deficit.

>> The new Congressional Budget Office budget projections released today show that the nation faces a fourth consecutive year of substantial budget deficits. Some seek to portray ?runaway domestic spending? or growth in the costs of entitlement programs as the primary cause of the shift in recent years from sizeable surpluses to large deficits. Such a characterization is incorrect. In 2005, the cost of tax cuts enacted over the past four years will be over three times the cost of all domestic program increases enacted over this period.

The new CBO data show that changes in law enacted since January 2001 increased the deficit by $539 billion in 2005. In the absence of such legislation, the nation would have a surplus this year. Tax cuts account for nearly half ? 48 percent ? of this $539 billion in increased costs.[1] Increases in program spending make up the other 52 percent and have been primarily concentrated in defense, homeland security, and international affairs. <<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Not to shoot the mesenger
by duckman / November 11, 2006 6:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Revenues have INCREASED
by Evie / November 11, 2006 11:50 PM PST

To continue to claim otherwise in the face of the facts is indeed a LIE.

Tax RATE cuts have INCREASED tax REVENUES. Any deficit is the result of spending increases eclipsing revenue increases.

Collapse -
A new strategy to win 2008 elections!
by hh / November 10, 2006 12:32 AM PST

Raise taxes, ruin the economy and then blame it on Bush.
Way to go! Politics as usual Sad

Collapse -
Like I've said elsewhere ...
by Evie / November 10, 2006 12:46 AM PST

... I sure hope the ink didn't dry in Bush's veto pen! I'll even concede him signing a MW bill -- with the economy in its current state, it's unlikely to have much, if any, noticeable effect on the economy as a whole. It would take SOME of the sting away from them when (hopefully) he derails any tax hikes.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I just hope...
by J. Vega / November 10, 2006 1:34 AM PST

I just hope that I can unload my farm before they raise the taxes on the sale. "Assisted living" places to live are quite expensive.

Collapse -
Cutting spending is really the answer
by gearup / November 10, 2006 2:11 AM PST

and to start lets stop paying that "H" company $8.50 a gallon for gas in Iraq! And stop paying them millions for doing the dishes there too!

Also tell the 75,000 people Ford is laying off how great the economy is. I am sure they will like hearing that!

Collapse -
By ANY measure ...
by Evie / November 10, 2006 8:18 AM PST

... the economy is doing yards better than when Rubin had a hand in it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?