Question

Rube needs some basic home audio insight

Hi - I confess that I am a near-idiot when it comes to home audio, so
please don't laugh at my questions concerning topics
like impedance. I am trying to create a simple two-room system, specifically
hoping to run an iPod through ceiling-mounted speakers in each and/or both of
two adjacent rooms. I have only the iPod thus far, and know I will need a receiver
and, obviously, two sets of speakers. I'm looking at an entry-level
receiver like the Sony STR-DH100, which has an A/B switch, and speakers like
the Polk RC60i.

My questions are these:

1) Are these components compatible in terms of power and resistance?
The receiver has an 8 ohm output and the speakers have a nominal impedance of 8
Ohms each. I was told by one non-objective source (i.e., looking to push up
costs) that I needed a receiver that could switch down to 4 ohms of output -
Onkyo and probably others make one, for more money. My intent is to play music
at moderate volumes only, most often in one room OR the other but occasionally
in both. If you're so inclines, please give me an idea of what's safe to use
together and whether I need to spend the additional money on a different
receiver and/or speaker, and why in terms I might be able to understand.

2) If you have any thoughts about low-to-mid priced devices from, say,
Sherwood, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc., that would do the trick as well or better than
the Sony, or about speaker brand alternatives, feel free to share those as
well. I am not seeking a particular brand of anything, and do NOT need any
superstar products in terms of performance, but need to make sure the receiver
has an A, B and A & B capability, can accommodate at least an iPod dock
input, and can run safely without distorting, overheating or blowing.
Thank you!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Rube needs some basic home audio insight
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Rube needs some basic home audio insight
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer

You may want to look at this Pioneer VSX821K receiver at Vann's for $349.99) --I'm not pushing Vann's or Pioneer-- I was looking for what you're looking for. I'm sure other sites have this and other models as well as the price appears in your price range, has a USB port for IPOD, IPAD. etc., has A/B speaker capability, has a feature to expand compressed music and, if you want to go further into home theater at some point, has good features.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538919532/pioneer-vsx821k
It looks like the other brands (except perhaps for Onkyo) have pre line outs for connecting a second amp to get multi-room capabilities. But, take a look at the receivers at this site for reference and to see the features. You probably won't get away for less for $350 for a receiver with IPOD connectivity and almost all receivers at that price and up have home theater features.

- Collapse -
Thanks 3Course - is it safe?

What about 8 ohm output from the receiver into four 8-ohm speakers? I guess the impedance matching is something I REALLY don't understand and worry about. Any insights there? Thanks again!

- Collapse -

You do want to match up receiver speaker output to speaker impedence. 8 ohm to 8 ohm. A 4 ohm receiver output makes the receiver work twice as hard to give you acceptable volume through the 8 ohm speakers and you could also get what is called "clipping". The per channel watts on a receiver putting out 4 ohms is measured with 4 ohm output.

- Collapse -
Impedance matching cuts slack, but don't disregard.

For instance, if using 6 OHM speakers with an 8 OHM receiver output, I wouldn't particularly care.

CNET Forums