Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

*.rtf files are larger than the *.doc files

~I am using Word 2003. I have document (*.doc) that has color gaphics in the header and footer. File size 793K.
~I need to save it for a friend with an older version of Word, so I choose SAVE AS, and under Save-as-Type I choose:
"Word 97-2003 & 6.0/95 - RTF(*.doc)"
~Now the document is 4.1MB!
~Anyone know why the file size is now so large?
~Is there any way to decrease the size of the file(without compressing the graphic)?
Thanks,
~Brian
brian-at-briandina.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: *.rtf files are larger than the *.doc files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: *.rtf files are larger than the *.doc files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: rtf-size

In reply to: *.rtf files are larger than the *.doc files

Brian,

I think this has to do with the graphics. Graphics are binary and have to be translated to standard ASCII. That's like an picture attachment in a mail is larger than the original. But I must admit I find the increase from 793K to 4.1 Mb too big to be reasonable.

Anyway, you can't influence it. What you can do, however, is zip the rtf-file (that is, move it to a compressed folder in Windows XP) and than mail the zip-file. That's surely smaller.

Your friend has to unzip the file, making it bigger, then import in his older version of Word and see the result.

My Word XP has the option to save a file in Word 6.0/95.doc format (not the rtf-variant). That might give a smaller file, but you may lose some formatting (not likely, but it may happen, just try). Did Microsoft remove that option from Office 2003?

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
The .RTF file will usually be bigger

In reply to: *.rtf files are larger than the *.doc files

The .RTF (Rich text Format) file will usually be bigger because .RTF is a textual representation (open it with Notepad or some other just simple text editor and see the text coding) of the document. If all you have is some formatted text then there is not too much growth when changing from .DOC to .RTF
BUT
If your file has a graphic in it, then think how difficult it is to try and describe a graphic in some parlance of text to exactly describe the graphic. That text used must be exact enough to describe every dot, and color of that dot, used. It can grow quite a bit.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.