Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

rstrui.exe vanished

I can no more start ' system restore ' in WXP because it seems that rstrui.exe is vanished. Can someone tell me how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: rstrui.exe vanished
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: rstrui.exe vanished
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.

In reply to: rstrui.exe vanished

Collapse -
Still missing.

In reply to: Link, comment.

Hello Bob, i did scannow and windows\inf, as in your links, without problems but without results either: rstrui.exe is still missing in action. Is there other ways rather than perform a repair install of windows XP? Thanks.

Collapse -
If you have the original XP installation disks,

In reply to: Still missing.

you can perform a ''Repair Install'', but bewarned, it would be advisable to backup your important files, (music, photos, videos, documents, email settings, etc), beforehand in case the repair deletes some important files. You will probabbly have to re-install any programs you have installed yourself anyway.

This site will step you through the process;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you have an OEM version of Windows XP, (eg a computer that came from a retail shop already installed with XP), then this may not work for you, and you should visit the computer manufacturer's web site for guidance how to re-install XP.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark

In reply to: If you have the original XP installation disks,

but i prefere not to reinstall, if i can.

Collapse -
The .exe is likely not missing. Tell more.

In reply to: Still missing.

Your post needs gritty details. You don't tell how you know it's missing. For instance did you open a command line and type in the command? Did you use the CD \ and DIR RSTRUI.* /s/a/p to have the command line look all over for it? A limited account can do this and cause grief.

Next we get to find out what pest controls you use.

Bob

Collapse -
More details.

In reply to: The .exe is likely not missing. Tell more.

Hello Bob, when yesterday i clicked the icon ' system restore ' it did not open. So i right cliked to see property and the destination path is ' %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe '. So i went to the restore folder in system32 and there is no rstui.exe. I tryed ' run ' or to search this file but with no result, even if system restore was working few days ago. Sorry but i can not understand what you are meaning with:< Did you use the CD \ and DIR RSTRUI.* /s/a/p to have the command line look all over for it?> For pest controls i am using: Windows Defender, SpyCatcher, Spyware Blaster and SpyBot; without problems till now. Thanks.

Collapse -
Survival skills.

In reply to: More details.

The command line is not that tough. Even more so when handed the command to look for the missing file.

If you feel uncomfortable at the command prompt please hit the books or web pages to at least use the CD and DIR commands it's only 2 commands and will help in crisis mode.

Finally, if RSTRUI.EXE is missing some use Explorer to look and we know it can hide extensions and even files. I don't trust it. That's why we use the command line to be sure.

If SFC and the SR.INF don't put it back then what's likely is one of the usual trojans or pests is deleting it when it's running. Scans with Ewido and Housecall usually find this pest.

Bob

Collapse -
mscorsvw.exe

In reply to: Survival skills.

Thanks Bob, you was right all the way, the rat is: mscorsvw.exe ( C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ ). Do you know it? Is this a case of Microsoft eating Microsoft? What have i to do with this file that slow down my PC too? Thanks.

Collapse -
That's dot net for you.

In reply to: mscorsvw.exe

I'd uninstall the NET framework until you sort this out. Some pests call dot NET items and you can neuter them until you find the pest by uninstalling NET framework.

Bob

Collapse -
Just disabling it

In reply to: That's dot net for you.

it is OK? I do not know how to uninstall it Sad

Collapse -
Net framework should be in Add/Remove Programs.

In reply to: Just disabling it

Rarely used and you can always reinstall it later.

If not, same story for the .exe you noted.

Bob

Collapse -
Microsoft made the mess.

In reply to: Net framework should be in Add/Remove Programs.

Collapse -
mscorsvw.exe

In reply to: Microsoft made the mess.

How did you came to know about this error and how did you uninstall it ?

Collapse -
(NT) Did you read the link?

Collapse -
6 years later.

Please start a new discussion as this one is out of date. You need NEW info!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.