Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Roxio editing controls confusing

by tokyoprogressive / August 8, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

Is there any user of Roxio Toast 9 (Titanium) or similar?

I upload a video from my VHS and then before burning to disk (or disk image) I try to edit. Trouble is the instructions in help are incomplete or do not reflect what I see.

I want to edit out stuff in the beginning, for example.

HELP says
To trim or edit portions of video:
1 Select a video and click Edit or double-click on any video.
2 Click the Video tab.
3. In the preview window, set the area to trim by manipulating the Trim markers, which are small triangles at the start and end of the blue bar
below the video:

FIRST PROBLEM--> there is only one marker. I have to click the button in the center to see them. After that, I see 3 markers TOP of bar--> 1
BOTTOM of bar 2

Then it says:

Drag the start marker to the right to mark the beginning of the video.

I can drag the right most marker to the right. That would SEEM to be the end of the video... (Right is end, Left is beginning, ,no?)

THEN IT SAYS:

The video between the start and end marker (the lighter blue) is
included on the finished disc at recording time. The area outside of the markers (the darker blue) is excluded from the finished disc.

Before I move the markers I see the total duration is 2 hours 11 minutes on the left under CHAPTER MARKERS

If I slide the right most marker, I see that I get small numbers. So let's say I move a bit and I get a total of
5.15 secs. The amount under chapter markers now says 2 hours 6 minutes

If I move the left marker, it seems to show a later starting point.

The point between the markers is green. So I am confused

There is no mention of green in the help file.

It is only after I click the marker on the top that I see a lighter blue. They do not mention any of this stuff. I have wasted 3 DVDs as a result.

I think the instructions are unclear.
And all support do is send me the same file.

I think they need to be more systematic in their explanation.

CONTINUING WITH TESTING
After more testing I see:

If I want to put only the final 3 minutes of the video,I move the bars all the way to the right and have only the last few minutes selected

I see those figures when I click on the bars, but the total duration on the left under CHAPTER MARKERS is wierd.

If I move the left marker left it shows a shorter duration. I would think based on their description that the more space between the markers, the longer the duration. Example, left marker on 0 and right on 15. Total shows 1 55

Now left marker same and right marker at 1 45 and total duration numbers are 25.

Now left is at 0 and right is at 2 11 and I click and all light blue, and total duration shows 0.

Shouldn't it be that if I move one marker all the way left and the other all the way right, then all is in light blue so all should be included?

I also note that I get opposite results if I move the right bar to the right and the left to the left (green area is large, which becomes light blue if I click TOP marker). But also that the total duration when wide area is selected shows large number just above the bar but small number at left. So 2 hours 4 mins when i have large green area, but DURATION 7 minutes over on the left.

PLUS, if I click the top marker I can get multiple left and right markers.

All totally confusing!

Can anyone help me figure out why I am misunderstanding the Roxio help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Roxio editing controls confusing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Roxio editing controls confusing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video Editing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 11:13 PM PDT

I would not consider Toast to be an editing tool and the Help file is not very helpful regarding the types of video that Toast can edit.

Have you considered using Quicktime or iMovie to edit the movie file?

What format is this video in?

As a matter of interest, what does Roxio Tech Support have to say on the matter?

P

Collapse -
Thanks
by tokyoprogressive / August 9, 2008 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Video Editing

I imported a video (VHS) using a Canopus A/D converter. So Toast sees it as a DV file. I chose this way because Imovie takes forever (like a whole day) to save and process for a two hour video. Mostly no problem as I use the entire tape. but occasionally i go away and come back and find I have 30 minutes at the end I do not need, so the reason for the cutting. Also I have mostly finsihed my VHS archiving.

It seems straightforward (the editing)...as it does not actually cut the file but limit which part gets recorded to DVD.That is what it claims to do. But so far what I see is not what the manual says. And the result is nothing gets cut.And I was surprised no-one in the Roxio form answered. Maybe my question is too complex.

If you or anyone looks at this feature, do you see what I am referring to about a green bar, and also that the left and right in their description seems reversed.

Another thing I found is that using a real DV camera (it is a High definition recording), I get nothing indicating Toast can see it. I suspect that it is not a supported format. Using Firewire, IMovie sees both the VHS and the DV).

Back to the main probelm, Roxio support just sent me the same help file, without botering to try to comprehend.

I opened the ticket again with the forum question, so perhaps it will get answered. Once they DO answer, they automatically close the ticket even though the probelm may not be resolved.

Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
iMovie
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I was only suggesting the use of iMovie to do the editing of the DV file.
You can export it back out of iMovie as DV, which Toast can see and deal with.

Just a thought
P

Collapse -
You are right
by tokyoprogressive / August 10, 2008 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: iMovie

I didn't realize that I could edit quickly. I foundI can openup the file (MOV) that Imovie uses and editing is quick in QT Pro. I thought I had to deal with the IMOVIE interface and a slow save after a new edit.

Yes, this helps!!!

thank you!

Collapse -
(NT) You're Welcome!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: You are right
Collapse -
Yes its all backasswards
by jaemsc / September 18, 2010 2:19 AM PDT

The help file is totally opposite of how it really works re: the edit markers. The triangles CUT out the footage between them, which turns light blue (not dark blue as the help file says). So you click the lower center double triangle button to get each set of cutting markers. To remove the beginning and ending credits, place one in/out set at the beginning, and one set at the end. The time remaining bar should show the correct time. Just including this here to possibly help others like myself!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.