Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Routing and Remote Access Service ERROR:1068

by chuck1jones / September 21, 2008 7:38 AM PDT

I am running XpPro with service pack 2. I am trying to connect a serial cabel between two computers. Both computers are xp with sp 2.
The second computer worked fine creating a host. The first computer returns this message when I try to set up the serial cable connection.
"Could not start the routing and remote access service.

When I tried to start the Routing and remote access service I got this message:

"Could not start the routing and remote access service on local computer. ERROR: 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Everything worked fine when I set up the second computer as a host. No messages or failure to start.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Routing and Remote Access Service ERROR:1068
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Routing and Remote Access Service ERROR:1068
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Before I start.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 7:41 AM PDT

Tell me what you discovered when you researched this on google. I don't want to duplicate the easy stuff.

Collapse -
Why use serial?
by helljack6 / September 21, 2008 7:48 AM PDT

Unless it's software specific, could you explain why you're using a serial cable?

If you're doing direct computer/computer data transfer, using a Cat5 cross-over cable and assigning separate and addresses to each computer and then just drag and drop whatever, it's going to be faster than serial.

Could you perhaps give more detail as to why you're using serial instead of cross over Cat5 since there could be more than one way to skin a cat and i've been told in other forums on this site that my ideas aren't the right way of doing anything even tho they provide end user resolution based on the the original posting, i'm just trying to keep all options open so I don't disrespect anyone.

Collapse -
Google search
by chuck1jones / September 21, 2008 10:41 PM PDT

When this problem first came up and I googled the topic I got a lot of information that had returns on "routing", and remote access. When I did find a topic on routing and remote access it led me to starting the service. I dont know why 1 computer would be fine and the other wouldnt start the service. Both computers are Dell's and the same model (I think they are 260's without looking). Some replies said to delete and reinstall the service. Since I didnt know how to do that I searched for a "xp forum" and that is how I got here.

I am new to XP I had been running 98se for a long time. Only because the last computer I built was limited to 95 to ME.

Collapse -
Serial Cabel
by chuck1jones / September 21, 2008 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Google search

This whole process started about a month ago. My first thought was to install nic cards in both computers and connect them together with a cat5 cabel. My results were about the same. The first computer would tell me that the cable was unplugged. Perhaps, because I did not know about asigning ip addresses. I am not sure where to do that at and I certainly would not know what to make them. Now I have something else to try. When the nic cards failed to operate the way I thought they should I decided to try a serial cabel when I saw that option available in Network setup. I had thought about usb to usb but that did nothing either.

I am open to anything. I just want to be able to access the other computer...chuck

Collapse -
Accessing the other "white meat" computer
by helljack6 / September 22, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Serial Cabel

You can in fact access the other computer using just a CAT5 cable, however, it needs to be what's called a CROSSOVER cable. This means that the wiring setup on one end is slightly different on the other end. This allows for two way communication when connecting direct computer to computer.

Here's how:

1. Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, find your lan connection, right click on it, and click on properties. In the connection properties box, scroll down to find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and double click it. Two parts, top and bottom, in the top, set to use the following address (on computer 1,, leave default gateway blank and dns server addresses blank. click ok until you're back to control panel.

2. Do the same thing in step 1 on computer 2, but this time, use the address

3. connect a CROSSOVER cable to the two computers.

4. To access computer 2 from computer 1, click start, run, type \\\c$ and click ok, or from computer 2 to computer 1 the command would be \\\c$. The C$ command lets the computer know you are wanted to access the root C:\ drive on the target machine using what's called the Administrative share (this is set up in XP automatically for you during the install).

From there, you should be able to access files on either computer from either computer, let us know how it works out.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?