General discussion

Routers

I am struggling to connect my linksys router to my computer. I have a cable connection. I tried using the CD setup it came with, tried reading the user manual but I become confused at all the computer terminology.

when I am using the CD I come across a section which asks me to type in Host name and Domain name of my Internet provider. Can anyone please explain to me what they are, how can I find out what they are called.

Do I need to configure my Pc's in any way to allow the router to work ? for example do i need to used the network connection?

I'm sorry If i sound confusing, because I am.

THank you so very much for all your help.
Anna

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Routers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Routers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Help for router

I think you just have to put a host name not a domain name in it.If you can't get router to work call syslink tech help # off the box,or from the book.Tech help will give you a # for the next page so no one can get to use your system too.In case you go wireless in future.
hope this helps you Anna.
jim~,~

- Collapse -
Help for router

Thanks Jimmy I'm giving it another go tonight and will take your advice. Thanks.

Anna

- Collapse -
Your net provider has it....

Your internet provider will tell you your domain and host by phone.

- Collapse -
I fixed It

Hi everyone thanks for your help. I tried all sorts of things even rang the linksys information line and they couldn't help me.

I did some reading and research and realized that I needed to use a modem HUB. Connected it all and it WORKED !!

so if anyone out there has a similar problem, use a HUB.

Anna

CNET Forums

Forum Info