Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Router settings for streaming video

by jw1949 / February 6, 2011 12:22 AM PST

I think I have problems on the network. I have a PC running Ubuntu 10.10 with media on hard drives shared using Samba. I am trying to play movies using an ASUS HDP-R1 multimedia player across the LAN - the router is Netgear DG834T from Sky.

I have run 3 tests, using the same path to the same movie, and taken an average of the speed readings which show up when I start and stop the movie.

Test 1 - 35226 Kbits/sec; test 2 - 15818; test 3 - 1795.

Test 1 was with the ASUS and PC both connected to an Ethernet hub in the same room. Playback was great.
Test 2 had the PC still connected to the hub, the ASUS was connected to a Powerline adapter in another power socket in the same room. Playback was fine.
Test 3 was the same but with the ASUS downstairs in a room at the other side of the house. Playback was unwatchable, stuttering and stopping completely.

There is a Netgear router with a Powerline adapter attached in the downstairs hall. There is a WinPC with another Powerline adapter upstairs at the front. The media PC is connected through an Ethernet hub (which also has a networked printer attached) on another Powerline adapter, upstairs at the back. Tests 1 & 2 were done in this room; test 3 had the ASUS downstairs at the front !

As you can imagine, at 1795 Kbits/sec the movie is unwatchable - can anyone suggest setting I may need to change, on the router for example to get better playback?.

The powerline adapters are all Netricity HD Adapter Powerline 200Mbps.

Jack

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router settings for streaming video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router settings for streaming video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: playback
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 12:29 AM PST

I'd try wireless instead of Powerline. That's a wireless router, and a wireless PCI-card in your PC.

Kees

Collapse -
Wireless router
by jw1949 / February 7, 2011 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: Re: playback

Mine is wireless G and in UK, Sky will not (yet) provide wireless N routers.

This router, a Netgear DG834T, may not have the "legs" for video streaming, unless there are some settings that I am missing!

Collapse -
A Super G router won't cut it
by Pepe7 / February 6, 2011 1:32 AM PST

If you absolutely need a wireless solution, I would first try a dual band 'N' router. Your choice of brand. Powerline solutions generally suck. Some trial and error will be involved.

If you wanted the best solution lont-term, you must use a wired connection for reliable streaming. Period. The best 'N' setup still pales compared to basic ethernet (see results #1).

Collapse -
Any wifi is problematic. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 1:47 AM PST

Wifi is shared air space. There is no way to assure that all the bandwidth is available since other devices, even ones next door that are not yours get to share the air.

This is why most folk learn to get wired.

If the powerline didn't perform I often find the link is not on the same side of the AC. That is a long discussion about 240 to the house and the two 120 branches.
Bob

Collapse -
Almost
by Pepe7 / February 6, 2011 5:14 AM PST

Bob- in a protected wifi setup the end user has complete control over the devices that are allowed on the network. In this sense *all* wifi is not necessarily problematic. Using a dual band 'N' router covers both bases. It offers both bandwidth, distance, security, and the ability to configure it so only certain devices use specific frequency band(s).

Collapse -
That's untrue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Almost

Even in that mode, CSMAD still rules (remember your old networking class?)

Since you can't control a neighbor's cordless phone, their router settings, and more, wifi remains subject to interference unless you move far away from others and then we might have a prayer.
Bob

Collapse -
Perhaps in a densely packed NYC/SOHO apartment
by Pepe7 / February 6, 2011 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: That's untrue.

I can see where your scenario might apply in a hyper-dense housing/office scenario, but I can tell you it's not typically going to present a problem for most homeowner's networks. (FWIW, it sounds very much like the OP is in a single family home.) I haven't encountered many issues with cordless phones/microwaves/slightly detectable external wifi networks causing problems if the space was ample enough to move around a few pieces of equipment. If the superior wired connection isn't a practical solution, going dual band 'N' can often be a great end run. YMMV, since there's always trial and error.

You made a great point regarding the 'two branches' of 120.

Collapse -
I think you nailed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2011 5:06 AM PST

I wouldn't call my neighborhood dense but the network would drop unexpectedly. Eventually I lucked out and heard the neighbor's phone ring and then a drop. It was the old cordless 2.4GHz phone issue.

I tried other frequencies and found a short cure for that.
Bob

Collapse -
Single family stone-built home not great for Wireless
by jw1949 / February 7, 2011 1:26 PM PST

Yes, this OP is in a single family home & the wireless G does not make it to some corners!, so not sure if wireless N will hack it either.

Very disappointed that Powerline is getting such a bad press here; and still not convinced that the speed differences between tests 1 & 2 are caused by Powerline!

Collapse -
Correction
by jw1949 / February 7, 2011 1:29 PM PST

That s/b - between tests 2 & 3, both used Powerline but test 3 slower by a factor of 10?

Collapse -
You need to research it more
by Pepe7 / February 8, 2011 3:45 AM PST

Start by asking at a speciality forum such as AVS. You will be 'schooled' at how superior a traditional wired ethernet connection is, especially for streaming. Sorry- Power based solutions get bad press for a good reason, amigo. Paying the guys to wire up your home is worth the cost IME and O.

Also, don't expect the out of box 'G' or 'Super G' (etc.) wireless solutions to behave remotely as well as newer 'N' variants. I was amazed at the difference the first time I tried one in person. FWIW, if a wireless signal isn't making it far enough, you should always try moving up the chain a little with newer equipment, or even trying a tradional repeater/bridge. Luckily they aren't particularly expensive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!