Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Router keeps losing connection

by caned_monkey / January 3, 2013 4:22 AM PST

Hello,

I'm pretty noob at this so this may be something really simple... I hope so.

I have a just installed a new WiFi router (Asus WL-500g) which is connected to my broadband modem and to my PC (XP SP3) and now whenever I try to download anything I lose my internet connection. The network connection still shows as being active but I cant load web pages or send e-mail. It also happens if I try to stream video so i t seems like it is becoming over loaded.

The only thing that solves it is a reboot of my PC.

Anybody got any ideas what might be causing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router keeps losing connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router keeps losing connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You didn't tell us a few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 4:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by caned_monkey / January 4, 2013 3:46 AM PST

Yes it worked fine before, I had a Netgear router that worked fine and I've no reason to think that the Asus is any less capable of doing what I'm asking of it. It just loses connection when downloading even moderate sized files and this is on my wired PC as well not on any wifi connected device so, I'm thinking it must not be set up properly.

Collapse -
Have you checked the modem?
by wpgwpg / January 4, 2013 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

If your modem has an indicator light for an Internet connection, you should check that. It could be that your ISP is at fault. If the modem's losing the connection, there's nothing the router can do about that.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Modems OK
by caned_monkey / January 4, 2013 7:55 AM PST

The modems working and I've never had any problems with it before

Collapse -
Details matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I look at this router and find the premium, premium v2 and more.

Since it worked with the prior router you are fast approaching the answer you suspect. For me to look into this the details are required but as it stands I have to go with bad router.
Bob

Collapse -
Details?
by caned_monkey / January 4, 2013 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Details matter.
Collapse -
Any details help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: Details?

Such as firmware version, settings you've tried and if another router works.
Bob

Collapse -
Settings
by caned_monkey / January 4, 2013 8:54 PM PST
In reply to: Any details help.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v9 router which works fine

There are loads of settings but I haven't really tried changing any of them as I'm not sure what most of it is. I set it up using the Quick Setup and selected option Home Gateway which is described as

In this mode, we suppose you use WL500g to connect to Internet through ADSL or Cable Modem. And, there are many people in your environment share the same IP to ISP.
Explaining with technical terms, gateway mode is , NAT is enabed, WAN connection is allowed by using PPPoE, or DHCP client, or static IP. In addition, some features which are useful for home user, such as UPnP and DDNS, are supported.

the other two options were

Router
In Router mode, we suppose you use WL500g to connect to LAN in your company. So, you can set up routing protocol to meet your requirement in office.

Explaining with technical terms, router mode is, NAT is disabled, static routing protocol are allowed to set.

And Access Point
In Access Point mode, all 5 Ethernet ports and wireless devices are set to locate in the same local area network. Those WAN related functions are not supported here.

Explaining with technical terms, access point mode is, NAT is disabled, one wan port and four lan ports of WL500g are bridged together.

Firmware version is 1.8.1.9 which has been updated

Collapse -
One of the bugs I'm bumping into
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Settings

Has me going back one or two versions on the firmware.

I've also had some luck in setting the WiFi to off for testing then if the router works fine wired we turn on the WiFi but try reducing it's maximum speed. I'll start with 802.11g only and then if that works try higher speeds.

Since the other router worked, it is a defect in the router. YOUR CHOICE to see if you can workaround it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?